Wembley Way

First visit was in 1955 to see us get beat by NUFC. Not at all ready for how dirty, scruffy & smelly the place was, Expecting much better. Went back the following May to see us beat Birmingham but no change to quality of stadium.

Like others on here was expecting new national stadium to be near N.E.C. in Midlands but doubt I will ever go again to North London.

First visit was in 1955 to see us get beat by NUFC. Not at all ready for how dirty, scruffy & smelly the place was, Expecting much better. Went back the following May to see us beat Birmingham but no change to quality of stadium.

Like others on here was expecting new national stadium to be near N.E.C. in Midlands but doubt I will ever go again to North London.
I had a similar experience in 1969. 19 years old, first time there. Went with my mate to family friends in Camberwell in the morning, but too nervous/excited to eat lunch they offered. Got to Wembley Way, and thought "what a dump". Immediately felt hungry, so had burger from one of the more popular vendors.
Despite a rebuild, it's still a dump, and as I said earlier, putting steps instead of a ramp will end my visit(s) in future.

I presume you're talking about the split ramp as you approach the stadium as "Wembley Way" (as pointed out already, Olympic Way) stretches from the stadium back to Wembley Park Station.

It's changed a lot over the decades, Wembley. The first time I went there was when we played Wolves in 1974. Got off the coach and was ankle deep in water in a shale car park. Puddles everywhere. There were bushes growing on the outside of the stadium, but it was what is was back then, and much the same when we played Newcastle a couple of years later.

The next time I went there was when I lived in Brighton and they played yooo nigh tid in the cup final. I regularly watched Brighton in those days as it was only a 10 minute walk from home and they were in the 1st division at the time.

It was open scenery then, Olympic Way, with all round views and the car parks looking the same. I made the mistake of buying a burger off one of those vendors with those little white trolley things and didn't feel too great for the rest of the day after eating his boiled burger, but you live and learn.

I was surprised, on my first visit down there for the cup final against Stoke, how much development had taken place in the area. It's well developed now, but one thing I remember is, after the game finished in 1984{?}, was an uncomfortable crush in a tunnel on the way to the tube. I'm pretty sure it was Wembley Park station, but whichever station it was, it silenced everybody in there.

Maybe somebody with a better memory than me can recall which station it was, but it wasn't a pleasant experience.
There are picture online from when it was built in the 20's and it looks like its just been plonked in the middle of the countryside. Just surrounded by open fields

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 44

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.