Wembley Way

didsburyblu

Is no more. Work has begun to demolish it and replace it with steps.
First the twin towers now Wembley way is gone.
Poor idea with little thought for the fans using it in future both those who struggle with steps but also doesn't seem the best idea when you've got thousands leaving at the same time.

I take it you mean Olympic Way? Wembley Way is a short residential street south east of the stadium, t'other side of the railway lines.
And yes, I'm a pedantic git.

Is no more. Work has begun to demolish it and replace it with steps.
First the twin towers now Wembley way is gone.
Poor idea with little thought for the fans using it in future both those who struggle with steps but also doesn't seem the best idea when you've got thousands leaving at the same time.
Fucks me up then. The last time I went (for the Cup Final v Watford), I had to be pushed up the final flight of stairs to the Wembley Park station as I was totally knackered! That, and needing a stick to walk with these days, means I'll probably have to watch the matches on TV. It also means I'll have to miss out out on the overnight stay/piss up that follows. Ah well, I've had a good run - first visit in 1969.
It's a shit hole anyway.

Fucks me up then. The last time I went (for the Cup Final v Watford), I had to be pushed up the final flight of stairs to the Wembley Park station as I was totally knackered! That, and needing a stick to walk with these days, means I'll probably have to watch the matches on TV. It also means I'll have to miss out out on the overnight stay/piss up that follows. Ah well, I've had a good run - first visit in 1969.
It's a shit hole anyway.
Think there are plans to have lifts fired as well

Hate the whole thing about the national stadium being in London. I can nearly accept that it was built in London in the 1920's as a nod to our capital in such poorer times, and a special occasion. But when the stadium was rebuilt, going to London was much the same as going to the next town for the people of 100 tears ago.

I'm no different to loads of people who have travelled to London on the 8:00am train from Piccadilly, got to Euston around 10:00am, meeting at 11:00am and back at Euston for 14:00 and back for tea at 17:00pm. It's no big deal.

So this was the chance to give the national stadium to the nation and build it in the midlands where everybody gets a fair chance to attend games. I'd be very happy to walk up to the stadium along Brummie Boulevard or Aston Avenue.

If you're north of Watford, you're pond life to the FA tossers

It's changed a lot over the decades, Wembley. The first time I went there was when we played Wolves in 1974. Got off the coach and was ankle deep in water in a shale car park. Puddles everywhere. There were bushes growing on the outside of the stadium, but it was what is was back then, and much the same when we played Newcastle a couple of years later.

The next time I went there was when I lived in Brighton and they played yooo nigh tid in the cup final. I regularly watched Brighton in those days as it was only a 10 minute walk from home and they were in the 1st division at the time.

It was open scenery then, Olympic Way, with all round views and the car parks looking the same. I made the mistake of buying a burger off one of those vendors with those little white trolley things and didn't feel too great for the rest of the day after eating his boiled burger, but you live and learn.

I was surprised, on my first visit down there for the cup final against Stoke, how much development had taken place in the area. It's well developed now, but one thing I remember is, after the game finished in 1984{?}, was an uncomfortable crush in a tunnel on the way to the tube. I'm pretty sure it was Wembley Park station, but whichever station it was, it silenced everybody in there.

Maybe somebody with a better memory than me can recall which station it was, but it wasn't a pleasant experience.

Hate the whole thing about the national stadium being in London. I can nearly accept that it was built in London in the 1920's as a nod to our capital in such poorer times, and a special occasion. But when the stadium was rebuilt, going to London was much the same as going to the next town for the people of 100 tears ago.

I'm no different to loads of people who have travelled to London on the 8:00am train from Piccadilly, got to Euston around 10:00am, meeting at 11:00am and back at Euston for 14:00 and back for tea at 17:00pm. It's no big deal.

So this was the chance to give the national stadium to the nation and build it in the midlands where everybody gets a fair chance to attend games. I'd be very happy to walk up to the stadium along Brummie Boulevard or Aston Avenue.

If you're north of Watford, you're pond life to the FA tossers
Wouldn't want to go anywhere near Birmingham for a final after the thuggish behaviour of the Villa fans in March.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.