Wembley

I was only messing with you Wheelsy mate :-)
Wembley is tradition though and Football has tradition, you go to the Cup Final and Wembley is where you go.
I've been collecting Cup Final programme and tickets over the last few months for my unborn (son! it's a boy!!!) and if you have a read of these programmes you would see what I mean.
Some of the greatest sporting memories have been at Wembley, our 1969 Final springs to mind as does the 1956 Final against Birmingham. Long before my time yes but when you go into these things deep you can feel the buzz from it just a slight bit :-)
The 1953 Final where Stanley Matthews scored 2 goals at the age of 38 against Bolton, one of the most famous ever FA Cup Finals.
What would be the alternative? have it at the swamp or another Premier League Clubs ground?
No way!!!
It has to be in the Capital, and has to be Wembley and we will be there within the next 4 years for something that's for sure :-)
And Wembley mania will strike us all :-)

tips said:
just a thought but the most successful international team in the world (brazil) don't play their home games in their capitol.
Yes, but their capital city is a soulless mass of concrete dumped in the centre of the country 50 years ago specifically to serve as the seat of government and the headquarters of national companies. It has no history or tradition of football (or of anything else for that matter) and has a tiny population by Brazil's standards. It would be like Australia opting to play the Rugby World Cup Final in Canberra!

The whole Wembley build was a farce from start to finish.
IMO the end result has been fine. Th epitch is still iffy, but it is getting there.
Yes it is not as charismatic as the okd ground, but as otherposters have said, grounds in general have moved on.
The north south thing is a starnge one. It has to be recognosed that more people live in the south east than leswhere and therefore although the stadium is not in the middle of the country, it is proabably best placed to serve most people.
IMO this was not why the ground was built at Wembley, it was for commercial reasons.
I live near Cambrdige and wembley is convenient for me, so I attend as many games as i can there (hopefully soon with City). However, I would have been for the stdium being placed in Brum or Nottm ie near the major motorways.
Re the arguments about the prawn sandwich brigade. I do not buy the argument that if it was in Brum this would have reduced this issue. When the FA Cup was in Crdiff - no more rela fans got tickets.
Wheelsy, yes Wembley is a didgy area in London, but surely this is not the issue. The ground needs good communications and needs to be near enough to the centre. I do not see Wembley being that different to most grounds re placement even City.

Good points- It is an awesome stadium. The concourse has so much space and the seats are very wide with a lot of legroom.

Bad points-
6 quid a programme! 8 quid for fish and chips, 4 quid for a 330ml bottle of carslberg
Its just a shame that its in a hole. They havent developed anything around it, theres just open space and a tube station (with a long ass que) then 5 mins away there are only 2 pubs one being a whetherpoons where it takes about half an hour to get served, they should build a few more bars around the ground. However one bonus is theres a few off licenses so you can drink on the street if your sick of queing :) and any bars they do build will suffer as there isn't a game there every week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.