Wenger wants to change offside

Cotton Weave Blue

Arsene Wenger is the driving force behind a move to re-write the offside law to bring an end to controversial borderline VAR decisions. Wenger believes attacking players should be deemed onside if ANY part of their body is in line with the last opponent.

Thoughts?

So the daylight rule? We tried that already. It doesn't make any difference. Whatever the line you have, there's always going to be some that are too close to call, which is why it should be the linesman's decision unless VAR can show that it's clearly wrong (and not wrong by half an inch on an arbitrary freeze frame).

For once i will agree with the man.

Football is about goals, not forensically trying to chalk goals off and if any part of the attackers body with which he can score a goal with is in line with or behind the last attacker make them onside.

Arsene Wenger is the driving force behind a move to re-write the offside law to bring an end to controversial borderline VAR decisions. Wenger believes attacking players should be deemed onside if ANY part of their body is in line with the last opponent.

Thoughts?
It will still be down to interpretation and you'll still get the rags and dippers getting all the marginal calls.

is there day light or not ? is there day light between the armpits ? so instead of having the line drawn on the front of the defender and attacker leading foot, its now drawn at the back of the defender and attacker non leading foot....still the same problem !

This was floated on BM a while back ... to me it’s common sense ... does it show that Wenger (what Maureen call him a while back) reads blue moon?

It would funny if he did - he seems to be quite a smarmy smart arse.

He’s definitely not a financial expert- his exhortation that FFP rules should be respected is an okay position but that has to apply to both sides of the equation .... haven’t heard a dicky bird from him about all the cock-ups from UEFA.

A bigot I’m afraid.

Thoughts?

Wenger has a job at UEFA looking at rules, but i think it is a bit strange that a poor manager but a very good coach, who always preached free flowing football is not getting his teeth into the technical foul, a foul that supports 10 man defenses and penalizes teams that uses the midfield in attack, it is even more peculiar that he has not looked at the handball rule that allows 11 goalkeepers especially when played with a 10 man defense?
As for the offside rule change who does it support Liverpool, how will it work any more efficiently when the margins are exactly the same 10 mm, 10 cm, the whole body, why not 10 yards? it makes no difference they do not know when the ball was kicked ,The most visual and obvious difference between two teams on a pitch is the shirt so that is what should be used by the lines man for the best results, I am all for tight decisions going in favour of the attack, and a good example is the liverpool cry babies over the Firmino arm pit, that was obvious and should have been called by the lines man, 3 inches of different colour shirts both players going in the same direction so the kick is unimportant now where does Wenger go with that?

For once i will agree with the man.

Football is about goals, not forensically trying to chalk goals off and if any part of the attackers body with which he can score a goal with is in line with or behind the last attacker make them onside.
But how do you not see that this solves nothing in terms of forensically analysing goals. Instead of analysing whether someone’s pube is infront of the last defenders armpit hair, it just shifts the forensic analysis further back to look at whether the dead skin on the striker’s heel is level with the defender’s armpit hair. It’s exactly the same frustration. More goals will be deemed onside than before, of course. But it does not remove the forensic analysis. There will be the same number of overruled goals based on millimetres, but more goals overall.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.