We're being spied on.....Help !!!!

This was in The Sun last week:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/tech/8678640/proof-phones-listening-to-us/amp/

I’ve been keeping an eye on this topic. About 18 months ago the Mrs and I noticed we were being served ads for very specific/niche items we’d discussed in conversation but never searched for or even typed into our phones or laptops. The most recent one was last week, I was joking with the old man about putting him in a crap retirement home. An hour later I’m getting ads for retirement homes and communities (I’m 29, so I’m not getting these ads based on my profile, I’m at least 30 years off retirement).

The weird thing for me is that I don’t have Facebook and I don’t use any form of social media or social media app (and never have). Therefore the only way I could be being spied on is by Apple themselves, who then serve up ads based on conversations I’ve had via Safari, on GDN.

A mate of mine bought a mincer attachment for a Cuisinart (I think) food processor at a car boot sale and when he got it home realised the spindle was the wrong size so it didn't fit. He said to his Mrs it was a bit of a pain but never mind, only a tenner wasted.

Later that day he was googling about something unrelated and an advert popped up for a spindle adapter for a Cuisinart food processor.

Now, I am not paranoid, but it is absolutely incredible that this could be coincidence. SOMETHING in his house - his phone, Google Home, Alex, TV or whatever is definitely listening.

The tech companies would get absolutely crucified if there was hard evidence that they were recording voices without permission and then using them to personalise adverts.

I think it's more from other known information they have about you that they can start making other assumptions. Like in your mates example was he searching for recipes with mince in, watching videos on YouTube about food etc?

With that knowledge Google can assume you may want something to do with the cooking of a mince dish and that spindle attachment would fit the bill. Is Cuisinart a well known make? If so it's more likely to be shown.

The tech companies would get absolutely crucified if there was hard evidence that they were recording voices without permission and then using them to personalise adverts.

I think it's more from other known information they have about you that they can start making other assumptions. Like in your mates example was he searching for recipes with mince in, watching videos on YouTube about food etc?

With that knowledge Google can assume you may want something to do with the cooking of a mince dish and that spindle attachment would fit the bill. Is Cuisinart a well known make? If so it's more likely to be shown.
I don't buy that mate. A spindle adapter for a particular mincer is just too random for me to believe the above explanation.

I was chatting to someone one afternoon who I didn’t know before, didn’t already have her number and didn’t swap phone numbers or anything.

That evening, without having looked for her on Facebook, she’d popped up as a Friend Suggestion (not a Friend Request by her, a FB suggestion).

Then a few weeks later I saw her Son (who I already knew) to say hello to and she popped up again as a Friend Suggestion by Facebook that evening.

It’s one of the reasons I came off Facebook. I didn’t even have a profile on it until about two years ago and only stayed on it for a year. I think it’s a very strange thing, it may be the years of drugs playing with my paranoia but I kept thinking that the Facebook app could listen to me or could even watch me.
I get that daily. After meeting with a new potential client, they invariably pop up as a ‘friend suggestion’ within 24 hours on Facebook, almost without fail and have done so for years.

Hasn't amazon already admitted alexa listens all the time, same as your google app, you need to switch the mic permissions off or it records all around all the time.

And we all know webcams are always on and hackable.

Saying that unless you are doing your accounts with bank details visible, your alarm keypad is visible shagging or having a wank (ladies and gents) or using it in the toilet/shower, I expect most of anything captured would be mundane and not worth seeing

Last edited:
maxresdefault.jpg

As urban says above Alexa definitely listens to you and I assume other similar devices do as well. They will say that you were asked when starting it up and you agreed to this. You will not have seen it or even knew it existed but somewhere they will have your consent. Everything is stored and used for adverts these days, your browsing history is the obvious one to target you with adverts but your phone holds so much information about you. I am sure the technology will twin you with another phone when you are stood next to person you are meeting for the first time hence the FB friends request messages.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.