We've got enough....

The fact we tried for a mid in Jan and again this summer suggests we don’t have enough. If we do the worthy thing and promote Foden and Gomez to have loads of game time it could work but I suspect we’d come up short.

In response to the thread title....Have we fuck.

And you're deluded if you think so. Remember we're aiming to improve year on year. We are missing pieces in order to do that
Apart from another DM what exactly are we missing?

LB - Mendy, Delph and Laporte CF - Kun, Jesus and Sane could be utilised possibly with his pace. Only position we are a bit thin on is DM imo.

Striker needed for me as back up - doesn't have to be a mega star either just a reliable squad player type or alternatively promote from within.

Was thinking a replacement for Yaya was required, but how much did he actually play last season that can't be equally replaced by using Foden more in that area, with Mahrez coming in that allows us to use Gundogan in a deeper role if needed. With Mendy fit, that free's Delph for more games in midfield, and I wouldn't be selling Zinchenko in a hurry.

I'd would like another striker, Sergio and Jesus have both had injury problems over the last couple of seasons, and Sterling isn't as ruthless as we need in front of goal when neither are injured.

So, just hope we don’t ever play them in key games or any other teams like this?

This logic from some of our fans and outspoken posters here is an odd one.

Pep wanted Jorginho for this purpose, specifically and those who wanted him made observations that also supported bringing him in.

Yes, we have Delph and gundo - hence part
Of why we decided not to pay - but Jorginho was seen as an ideal fit for a reason.

The idea that his addition would have been irrelevant because allegedly the entire team capitulated once (Isn’t it nearly every time?) I find mind boggling as it is the defenders and no 6 who need to be arguably the best/most composed on the ball.

I love fern but he is not as great against the high press.

The idea that 1 or 2 or maybe more in cup matches, is not worth caring much about smells a bit of - no disrespect- arrogance. Liverpool have strengthened immensely this summer. By far more than anyone else, whilst still need a keeper but they will be better. We are by no means going to surely run away from the pack again. If it’s close those games may matter, and hey have a psychological effect on the team.

I hope it all works out and we are going to get better as well I think, but that is a chink in our armour that gives Klopp an advantage we cannot sit back and ignore because it’s only “a bogey team.” Does any top club accept that?

I agree with all that but I’m saying to combat Liverpool’s system we have to make sacrifices elsewhere and in the long run it’s not worth it. Pep even says he knows that Liverpool has the perfect system to beat us but that we won’t change. It’s not arrogance, far from it. Liverpool don’t up their game for City it’s just the way they play. Liverpool are easily our main rivals. I wanted Fabinho and VVD for us.

Haven't read all the thread, so maybe others have made this same post, but you can look at it like this:

• Mangala replaced by Laporte
  • Zinchenko replaced by Mendy
  • Toure replaced by Gundogan
  • Gundogan replaced by Bernardo
  • Bernardo replaced by Mahrez

At least 4 out of 5 are upgrades in these specific positions. (Bernardo in CM is a bit of an unknown atm)

Should be remembered that Mangala spent 6 months at the club last season, 2 months longer than Laporte - who was really a signing earmarked for this summer but brought forward

Mendy will obviously be as close to a 'new signing' as a current player could be

Pep will trust Gundogan to play at DM alot more than he did Toure so Dinho should get more rest.

Whether this is all enough in terms of CL is another issue - tho, Liverpool aside, I was confident we'd have beaten every team in the competition last season - and whilst we have a lot of young players who should improve slightly you never know when an older player can just drop off a cliff

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.