What’s happened to our finishing?

TheThirdDeano

We were the quickest to reach 100 goals this year, a marvelous feat considering how our finishing has gone to shìt.

So, what’s the problem? Is it Personnel, training, motivation, or is it an elaborate betting conspiracy?

Aguero being a shadow of his former self, let’s be honest. From 5 chances in a match it would be a hat-trick minimum in the past, and on a good day 5. Now we’re looking at 0-2 most of the time. He still scores, but he’s now wasteful whereas he used to be deadly. Pretty natural thing though considering his age.

And Sterling. That’s a reason. Just... Sterling.

We are seeing with our finishing what is the very essence of football. Give a pro ten options and the one he chooses misses - had he chosen any of the other nine he would have scored.

The main issue with the finishing is that we seem to have no trouble where a match doesn't require every chance to be converted, but where chances are a little rarer we seem to be second best compared to teams that we should be waltzing past.

Apart from Aguero, I reckon the mentality is wrong. Sterling looks terrified every time he gets beyond the defence and doesn't even look like scoring in a one on one, nor will he shoot with his left foot which, when you are bearing down on goal from the left, is a real problem.

Mahrez never gets into that position because as soon as he gets a defender in front of him he has to get the ball onto his left foot and either loses it cutting inside because he's so predictable or he then starts dribbling back towards our goal before passing it to one of our centre backs.

Not sure about Gabby because as soon as he shows signs of controlling his offsides and getting a few goals then he's back on the bench.

Difficult question to answer. Probably a combination of answers, the main one being anxiety/low confidence. We have a good bunch in our squad and they will certainly feel they are letting themselves/Pep down with some of the results so far. Pour on top of that the impact of the dodgy refs and VAR and they want to score the perfect goal. Doesn't work. Once they relax and get back to their natural game we will be ok.

Saw some stats which showed we were 3rd bottom of league in terms of goals scored as a percentage of chances created (surprised we weren't bottom),to be fair we have created a shit load of opportunities.
No surprise the dippers were top as the arseholes seem to score every time they go into the opposition half.

Statistically its the second best and only slightly behind Liverpool and of course we score more goals than anyone in Europe never mind just here but we create so many great chances thanks to Pep, his tactics and our players that it feels like we miss so many.

Scoring is not our issue and its been our defence this season that has cost us points.

I wont get into VAR on this thread as its been done to death elsewhere.

Saw some stats which showed we were 3rd bottom of league in terms of goals scored as a percentage of chances created (surprised we weren't bottom),to be fair we have created a shit load of opportunities.
No surprise the dippers were top as the arseholes seem to score every time they go into the opposition half.

Im calling that stat out mate as we are second behind Liverpool.

Im calling that stat out mate as we are second behind Liverpool.
City have scored less goals than the Expected Goals for and conceded more than the Expected Goals against.

In other words we are as Pep says inefficient in both boxes.

Here's one table that appeared at the top of my google search.

https://understat.com/league/EPL

I don't know much about Expected Goals or Expected Goals Against and don't know what the pitfalls are with using this data but it does suggest we are not particularly adept at finishing chances or defending one on one. We knew that anyway.

I think we have noticed this now because Sterling's form has dropped right off and we have become very reliant on Aguero.

Apart from Aguero, I reckon the mentality is wrong. Sterling looks terrified every time he gets beyond the defence and doesn't even look like scoring in a one on one, nor will he shoot with his left foot which, when you are bearing down on goal from the left, is a real problem.

Mahrez never gets into that position because as soon as he gets a defender in front of him he has to get the ball onto his left foot and either loses it cutting inside because he's so predictable or he then starts dribbling back towards our goal before passing it to one of our centre backs.

Not sure about Gabby because as soon as he shows signs of controlling his offsides and getting a few goals then he's back on the bench.
I think Gabby and Aguero should start until Sterling recovers - which he will. This seems obvious!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.