What are you listening to.................RIGHT NOW!!!

Great vocals backed up with that synth

Indeed Mr Sharston that's a fine and decent track and incidentally if I may be so bold as to mention as On Topic as you could imagine.. I like a good synth but also appreciate the sound of a Melotron. One of my favourite tracks with the melotron is taken from Close To The Edge and called "And You And I" and there are not many out there that can pull it off like the great Wakeman. Many this month on our Moons surface are partaking of their own sabbatical and spiritual awakenings but if ever there was a track that existed in the world of prog rock to ascend the spirit into a new transcendental pathway then this is it.I gave it an airing a few pages back but see no reason why I cant be repetitive on a quite Monday night.A mention in dispatches to the amazing Steve for his fine contribution on that beautiful Sho Bud Pro1 Pedal Steel guitar.The track is Split in to four complexional movements that I would find difficult to explain as I have had a few sherbets so I have simply cut and pasted them below as my own interpretation of the facts may be somewhat distorted from the reality of the situation.Any fans of the genre out there then I hope you enjoy it as much as I do and apologies for the long winded intro as that's not really my bag : /

I. Cord of Life
The song opens with Steve Howe on 12-string acoustic guitar, and his voice can be heard at the beginning of the track ("Ok"), then playing mostly natural harmonics, played around what will become the central melody, using a 12-string acoustic guitar which quickly forms into a simple chord progression over distant organ chords. Then, the Moog enters for a simple solo, presenting a subsequent phrase, albeit differently arranged. The vocals begin at about 1:40. The line "All Complete in the sight of seeds of life with you" is sung, which is repeated throughout the song. At about 2:50, there's a distinct change: Anderson sings a sharper melody, accompanied by a second vocal track by Anderson harmonizing with himself, plus Chris Squire and Steve Howe providing a counter-melody and alternate lyrics, with their voices fed through a Leslie speaker.

II. Eclipse
"Eclipse" is the slowest part of the song based on a measured and deliberate melody reminiscent of Sibelius. It is led by Rick Wakeman's epic Mellotron and Minimoogwith a thematic quote from "Cord of Life" played by Steve Howe on a delay-soaked Sho Bud Pro1 Pedal Steel guitar. The lyrics are all from the first stanza of "The Cord of Life", but are sung in a different melody, which is also epic and slightly sad. In this section, the song cycles from the key of D to the key of A, E, and finally B, in which it remains for the duration of the song. It ends with the 12-string acoustic guitar leading into "The Preacher, The Teacher".

III. The Preacher, The Teacher
The melody and lyrical structure is very similar (for the most part) to that of "The Cord of Life", with some variations. The exception is that "The Preacher, The Teacher" has a fast synthesizer solo by Rick Wakeman at one point during the song. The last stanza again consists of lines from "The Cord of Life", now sung in a different order and a completely different mood. At 8:34 there is a reprise of the previous section "Eclipse", which lasts until 9:12. The section ends with a cadenza-like orchestral statement, on Mellotron and Minimoog, reminiscent of neo-Wagnerian compositions from Strauss or Bruckner.

IV. Apocalypse
"Apocalypse" is the shortest piece of the song, only about 40 seconds long, it consists only of four lines, accompanied only by Howe's guitars. The lyrics are taken from "Cord of Life", but are sung in the key of B, making them more upbeat:

And you and I climb, crossing the shapes of the morning.

And you and I climb over the sun for the river.
And you and I climb, clearer, towards the movement.

And you and I called over valleys of endless seas.

And now without further to do here for your kind perusal is "And You And I" by Yes:

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.