What book are you reading now / or recommend?

Just received a rather weighty tome entitled "The Lost Tommies" by Ross Coulthart.
It features hundreds of pictures of soldiers and their regiments from the First World War and their stories. Looks very interesting at first sight.

Is there anything we wouldn't necessarily know about him?

Comes across quite self-centred/selfish, but would expect that from most footballers. It's quite an honest read, and he's got some good stories. Recommended if you're into autobiographies.

I've just read; "Getting a Nasty Shock: the Bradford Ointment Story", by Kevin McDonnell. This is a compelling read about Bradford City's gang called The Ointment.

There's a series of books by English author Mike Carey, based on a character called Felix Castor who's a scouse exorcist (I know it sounds stupid). First in the series is called 'The Devil you know' followed by another four or five books, it's very dark humour and easily the best series I've read in years! Highly recommended

I read the first one and enjoyed it so much I've started on the second. Much better than The Dresden Files which are in a similar vein.
Really enjoyed it. Gonna hit one of Stonys next and then go back for the second in the series. It was very funny. (I want to meet Juliet)

She'd leave nothing but a husk.

Which one did you go for? Forever War or Old Man's?

I read the first one and enjoyed it so much I've started on the second. Much better than The Dresden Files which are in a similar vein.

I've literally just finished Old Man's War about two minutes ago. Think I'm gonna just straight on to the next in the series.

Although I also want to read Forever War and the next in the exorcist series as well. Decisions decisions.

I've literally just finished Old Man's War about two minutes ago

I take it you like it then. I liked the second one, but fell out of love with it after that. The Forever War is a bit more serious, a lot more actually. It still has it's funny moments though, but it's the social commentary and the evolution of Earth that I found fascinating. Its another that was written years ago(about the time of the Vietnam war) so it makes you smile when they are talking about interstellar travel in our lifetime.
I have just started the second in the exorcist series, you'll be pleased to know that Juliet is back.

By the time you hit the 'naming of the beasts' that scouse fucker Castor is under your skin. Carey based his books on the Jim Butcher series, but they're just so much better, the way he Anglocised/fied, whatever the fucking term is kills it. As for Juliet....did you just fart?

For those that like the Felix Castor books then there's another series I'd recommend by Paul Cornell. Starts with London Falling. There's also Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch which is a bit lighter in tone. Both have "proper" coppers that get dragged into the things that go bump in the night types of situations.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.