What can the manager do if players decide to make mistakes

bizzbo said:
As you say, there is little chance of Hughes going anytime soon. There is plenty of time for this season to turn out well, so why so sensitive to any criticism? Who mentioned referees and linesmen?

I know JMA doesn't phrase these things as considerately as he might, but it's really disappointing when any discussion is sabotaged by people who just want it all to be inners vs outers.

Exactly

I used for my example what we as a team went through at the start of the season, if you disagree that's fine but that's how i saw it.
This topic can be used for any team, any manager, any player and i think it's a fair debate.
Soon nobody will be able to post without being labelled one way or another?

Danamy said:
bizzbo said:
As you say, there is little chance of Hughes going anytime soon. There is plenty of time for this season to turn out well, so why so sensitive to any criticism? Who mentioned referees and linesmen?

I know JMA doesn't phrase these things as considerately as he might, but it's really disappointing when any discussion is sabotaged by people who just want it all to be inners vs outers.

Exactly

I used for my example what we as a team went through at the start of the season, if you disagree that's fine but that's how i saw it.
This topic can be used for any team, any manager, any player and i think it's a fair debate.
Soon nobody will be able to post without being labelled one way or another?

its the sheer number of threads started against hughes, the same people the same drivel.

bizzbo said:

That's a very good point bizzbo.

Seems that any question at all about why we aren't doing better is used as an excuse by some people.

There have been a fair few posts blaming the players ( usually single individuals), so it is entirely reasonable to ask if that is valid.

City haven't been doing as well as they should, but they haven't been a disaster either. It's sad though when you can't discuss different ideas and scenarios without copping abuse.

I think a manager cannot do anything to prevent players from making mistakes from time to time - it just happens..but it's up to the manager to deal with it, rebuild the players confidence and work on the issue in training.

From what I've heard recently from the training reports, we've been doing lots of work on getting defensively tight with a few minutes to go etc. So I wouldn't fault the manager for ignoring these issues.

What is still out to be seen in some cases is, whether it works or not. Whilst Bridge has been a better player this year, Lescott improved as time's gone on, the argument could be swayed both ways I guess. A pure glass half-full/half-empty question.

We'll only really know for sure when time passes, whether Hughes can put in the confidence long term and everyone or not. I think, so far, he hasn't lost my faith at all.

Dhenry said:
I think a manager cannot do anything to prevent players from making mistakes from time to time - it just happens..but it's up to the manager to deal with it, rebuild the players confidence and work on the issue in training.

From what I've heard recently from the training reports, we've been doing lots of work on getting defensively tight with a few minutes to go etc. So I wouldn't fault the manager for ignoring these issues.

What is still out to be seen in some cases is, whether it works or not. Whilst Bridge has been a better player this year, Lescott improved as time's gone on, the argument could be swayed both ways I guess. A pure glass half-full/half-empty question.

We'll only really know for sure when time passes, whether Hughes can put in the confidence long term and everyone or not. I think, so far, he hasn't lost my faith at all.

But surely Bridge and Lescott arrived primed and ready. Both players were well used to playing in the premiership week in and week and out. Why do they need time just to continue to play at the same standard?

I can understand they are getting used to a new set up, system or whatever, but these are people at the top of their profession and just shouldn't make loads of basic errors that give goals away.

My apologies to all offended by this horrendous misjudgement.

I really don't know what I was thinking, bringing back a thread that is relevant to a large number of posts on various other threads.

In future I will endeavour to seek the approval of the self styled "most loyalist/most famous fans on the board before uttering a single word.

That or ask people to devote an hour of their time every other week to listen to my opinion on everyone and everything to do with City and be awe struck by these views.

Now, the above is, imo, partcularly harsh and a bit snide.

It is there though as an example that we can all resort to whinging about the views of others and acting like some sort of barometer of what is and isn't the correct "biggest blue" opinion, whilst at the same time getting in snide digs about people being obsessed, ridicuous or some other daft insult.

It isn't big and it isn't clever. And I don't particularly stand by my above post. It's just intended to show that we can all go down the disparaging route and it would make for a terrible site, cos virtually everyone could use snide, and probably inaccurate, ammunition to attempt to discredit anyone with an opinion they don't like

mammutly said:
Dhenry said:

But surely Bridge and Lescott arrived primed and ready. Both players were well used to playing in the premiership week in and week and out. Why do they need time just to continue to play at the same standard?

I can understand they are getting used to a new set up, system or whatever, but these are people at the top of their profession and just shouldn't make loads of basic errors that give goals away.

You can't really say Bridge got lots of play-time, can you?

With Lescott, I'd say the pressure of the high transfer fee and a widely publicised transfer saga got to him, heaps of pressure. Glad to see the manager has resolved that now though.

Gordo eddie: as far as the fans & media are concerned, you're spot on. I still say it's a joint effort either way, but that's never how it's perceived.

moomba said:
charliebigspuds said:
We've waited thirty-odd years for success so why can't we wait another two years.

I wouldn't spend 4 years of my life waiting on the off chance it might lead to something, I'm going to want to see signs that the wait will be worthwhile. No point showing patience a la Gareth Southgate unless there is a reward at the end of the line.

Off chance? do you mean that we are going backwards? I think we're going in the right direction and will win something in the next 18 months.
otherwise WE risk fcuking it up before we even get near to winning out, simply by being impatient!

We won't fuck anything up, if the owners sack Hughes it won't be because a bunch of posters on bluemoon say they should.
When I say "we'll fuck it up" I don't mean causing the owners to sack the manager or making the owners make any other dicision for that matter, I mean the crowd at the games will be split and some unhappy which will put pressure on the team and good results will be harder to get! I'm not a massive MH fan BUT i'm willing to support him 100% while he's City manager, doing anything else is counter-productive IMO.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.