What can the manager do if players decide to make mistakes

In his own words he's bought 'proven premiership players' so as they have already proven themselves its down to hughes if he cant get them to perform.

I just hope we're not still sat here this time next season discussing the same things and still waiting for the team to 'gel', hopefully lots of us will be eating humble pie but I sincerely doubt it.

How many managers have actually had the chance hughes has been given? A limitless pot of cash to go for any player in the world and free reign to build the club as he sees fit whilst being able to employ anyone he wants in his backroom/coaching staff.

Alan Ball could probably manage a trophy in those circumstances!

charliebigspuds said:
Off chance? do you mean that we are going backwards? I think we're going in the right direction and will win something in the next 18 months. otherwise WE risk fcuking it up before we even get near to winning out, simply by being impatient!

I don't think we're going backwards, but then again I'm not suggesting we make a change. But you say we've waited so long for success, why not wait another two years, and all I'm saying is that I won't wait another two years unless there are signs that Hughes is the best man for the job.

FWIW I don't think theres a risk of fucking it up either way, so long as the resources continue we'll end up seeing some form of success regardless of the manager. But there is more risk IMO in sticking with the wrong man as there is in bringing in a new manager to the club.

When I say "we'll fuck it up" I don't mean causing the owners to sack the manager or making the owners make any other dicision for that matter, I mean the crowd at the games will be split and some unhappy which will put pressure on the team and good results will be harder to get! I'm not a massive MH fan BUT i'm willing to support him 100% while he's City manager, doing anything else is counter-productive IMO.

You make a presumption that people who are critical of the side on here are critical of the side or negative at the matches. It just doesn't work like that. By and large Hughes has got support at the games, when we play badly people will react badly. Always happened, always will but I give our owners credit that they'll make their decisions for the right reasons.

JohnMaddocksAxe said:
Regardless of your opinion of Mark Hughes, global warming or anything else, can we not have people coming out with this ludicrous phrase.

If the a football manager didn't bear responsibility for the actions of his players on the pitch then none of them would ever get the chop.

There might be a semblence of a decent point if you were referring to things or poor performances that only occur once every season, but every manager is responsible for their team's performances, mistakes, moments of magic and screaming goals.

So stop pretending they aren't please.

They get credit when their team is in a position to, and feels confident enough, to pull out moments of magic.

And they are also responsible when their players are so confused, nervous, at odds with the style they are being adked to play, that they perform well below their ability or make individual mistakes.

Otherwise you could say that Alan Ball should have kept his job because it wasn't his fault that people like Symons and Summerbee kept letting him down

Interesting.

Unfortunately JMA, an eloquent rant on a messageboard is not going to stop the great unwashed from using footballing cliches at any given opportunity. In fact some would say it's the right of every football fan to not have every single cliche they cling to shattered by someone cleverer than them...

Oh, and hat's off on disguising this particular "Hughes isn't good enough" thread...

Current season is the evidence it does not work as told.

Liverpool: team conceded on a free kick. Hugues changes brought a 2-1 lead. Should have given players confidence and pleasure. Yet they conceded on the following kick off.

Hard to untangle who is responsible for what.

Hugues is still the weakest link as he is the cheapest to sack.

Bluemoon Cliche top 10, w/c 22/11/09

1) We didn't go for it until we we were a goal down
2) Liverpool were there for the taking
3) The manager can't be blamed for individual errors
4) We've only lost once FFS
5) Barry is knackered
6) The team is still gelling
7) hughes is far too negative
8) Weiss should be starting
9) Tevez is quality
10) Lescott is shite

cookster said:
Sensible post - Hughes signed 9 of the 11 that started today. It's his player, his team that are regressing on a weeky basis.

Get dicked by Liverpool and gift Hull a point at Eastlands and the press will be having field day!!
You must be gutted

moomba said:
charliebigspuds said:
Off chance? do you mean that we are going backwards? I think we're going in the right direction and will win something in the next 18 months. otherwise WE risk fcuking it up before we even get near to winning out, simply by being impatient!

I don't think we're going backwards, but then again I'm not suggesting we make a change. But you say we've waited so long for success, why not wait another two years, and all I'm saying is that I won't wait another two years unless there are signs that Hughes is the best man for the job.

FWIW I don't think theres a risk of fucking it up either way, so long as the resources continue we'll end up seeing some form of success regardless of the manager. But there is more risk IMO in sticking with the wrong man as there is in bringing in a new manager to the club.

When I say "we'll fuck it up" I don't mean causing the owners to sack the manager or making the owners make any other dicision for that matter, I mean the crowd at the games will be split and some unhappy which will put pressure on the team and good results will be harder to get! I'm not a massive MH fan BUT i'm willing to support him 100% while he's City manager, doing anything else is counter-productive IMO.

You make a presumption that people who are critical of the side on here are critical of the side or negative at the matches. It just doesn't work like that. By and large Hughes has got support at the games, when we play badly people will react badly. Always happened, always will but I give our owners credit that they'll make their decisions for the right reasons.
fair play Moomba, good point. Nice to actually discuss it without anyone getting ratty and starting a slanging match. I do hate hearing booing at the match ESPECIALLY at H/T, It must make the players apprehensive to take the ball in second half. By all means debate it on here or in the pubs after the game but while the match is on people need to get behind 'em! by the sounds of it I think we both agree on that.

Just a little point, what makes you think that Players "DECIDE" to make a mistake! Is the OP suggesting that players deliberately fuck up?

Well if that is the case then the manager should sack them on the spot!

However, on a serious note, there isn't an awful lot I suppose, sometimes even the best players make mistakes (just watch how many times Fabregas loses the ball or gives it away for example - but to counter that he'll probably go and set up a goal or two).

All the manager can do is speak with the player, point out the mistake, expalin what he should do in the future, test him on the same scenario in training and iron that particular mistake out of his game!!!

I know fuck all about coaching, but that's what I would do!

GaudinoMotors said:
cookster said:
Sensible post - Hughes signed 9 of the 11 that started today. It's his player, his team that are regressing on a weeky basis.

Get dicked by Liverpool and gift Hull a point at Eastlands and the press will be having field day!!
You must be gutted
a draw against a depleted liverpool team. I bet he was!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.