What can we possibly do to go on a 15 game winning run?

Agree (and of course this is hypothetical) but i think having Foden in that midfield would have given us the legs and enthusiasm for that type of press that was needed.

For me I also find it alarming that our best CB (both yesterday and on other occasions) is basically our no.1 rated defensive midfielder in Fern. Something has got to give, because I think it is totally wrong to put that onus on Fern's shoulders. Since we let Vinny go we didn't replace him and you can put that down to either not wanting to pay the going rate (which i honestly don't think Maguire is worth by the way) or that there was not anyone who Pep wanted being available - however my argument would be that De Ligt was available, and we should have broke the bank for him

It seems that Pep has lost faith in Stones, I don't know what the hell is going on with Mendy but so far it seems to be another wedge of money down the bloody drain. Was he injured again yesterday because i only saw him sat in the stands (next to Zinchenko I think it was).

The defence at the moment lacks a leader, it is lacking organisation and a collective effort. Watching us defend is akin to watching a 'panic station' scene on an episode of Red Dwarf

does this mean that we should blood Garcia in the back four from now onward so that he can be partnered by Laporte when he returns? - thus allowing fernandinho to be playing in his natural position - for me I would do it
Totally agree about DeLigt, can only think we didn’t have the budget.

Garcia looks very useful, but Pep is reluctant to play a teenager in attacking midfield, let alone play a teenager at centre half.

Personally, I think I’d go Rodri at the back and push Ferna in to the 6 position.

Rodri looks an exceptional player and I think he’ll be the best 6 in the world for years to come. But right now, we need legs in midfield and Rodri doesn’t have them.

If Rodri was playing in midfield alongside Foden and a peak Bernado, no problem. He’s got them to do his running. But alongside an ambling Gundogan and a slowing down Dave, it’s just too pedestrian.

Fernandinho is so quick in to the tackle as a 6 and he brakes up counters better than anyone. By any means necessary.

I also think Rodri is a more natural replacement for Laporte. Similar range of passing, classy, reads the game well. Tall, statuesque, although I think Rodri needs to improve in the air.

Ferna has been caught out for diving in a few times, which you can get away with in midfield, but not at centre back.

I think Pep started the season thinking he wanted to blood Rodri in midfield all season, get him up to speed with the league so he’s ready to hit the ground running next season.

But the fact of the matter is, we couldn’t legislate for Laporte being out for so long. Or for Otamendi and Stones form to fall off a cliff. We’re in a bit of a mini-crisis by our post-takeover standards.

We need energy in midfield and cool heads at the back. I think switching Ferna and Rodri could be a stop gap solution to both.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.