What can we possibly do to go on a 15 game winning run?

I've never expected us to do it last year after Newcastle game, but I really don't expect us to do it this year. We're not that good this year generally and we would need to be perfect to do it as powers that be would go miles to protect Liverpool's chances to win it.

Again, if we would be perfect, we might maybe do it, but I just don't think there's enough energy left in this team to make it happen. 3 years with Pep drained them. Then, there are injuries too.

Imo, we should just secure top 4 place now and throw everything on Champions League. Not sure we're strong enough for that too, but if prioritized, maybe we could do it.

Take it game by game, get some momentum and the pressure on them will rise, as it has done on all the seasons we have had to win from behind. They know what they have to do.

When was the last time an away team scored 4 at Anfield in the league? I bet it’s not even happened very often at Carrow Rd either.

We’re always going to miss chances. Even in the last two seasons when we’ve broken every goalscoring record possible, our conversion rate was still only in the low 20%’s. That’s just the nature of football.

The 4 games we’ve dropped points in, we’ve conceded 2 at home in two of those games, and 3 away in the other two.

Of course converting more chances will help, but it’s not the biggest problem. Conceding chances too easily is. “Simple as”.

Liverpool flood into one on one attackin situations because of their style of play. They counter-press so Salah and Mane are one on one.

City are almost always attacking a massed defence so we don't get clear chances. However I think we need to upgrade Aguero and Silva now. They have been key parts of our attacking line-up since Mancini. David Silva is not the same player he was. Aguero is not sharp enough either. I am not certain about Aguero. I had my doubts a year or so ago and he kept on going. He gets goals, but I prefer City with electric forwards who can burst past a man into space. Sterling and Jesus are like that. I would play them.

We seem to be stuck between two stools at the moment. The squad has been refreshed in part but we still play the old players. we have to move on, and find out if the new players are good enough.

It’s got the feeling of 2014/15 and 16/17 Seasons this one. Losing at Fucking Norwich? I mean come on, that’s as bad as it gets for any side let alone us. We then follow that with Wolves who could have beat us 4/5 that day. Ederson has been man of the match in some games which is rare and won us two points at Everton where we could quite easily have drawn. We then play dire in the first half against Villa and even worse against Southampton.

Injuries and loss of form for KDB, Silva and Silva when added to comical goals conceded and missed chances mean there is a hell of a lot of work to do to go on 15 game winning runs.
In general I feel team isn't motivated because of unprecedented success of last season.There are rumours of Pep leaving next season too.Maybe that is working against us.Injuries and VAR have coupled our miseries

Liverpool flood into one on one attackin situations because of their style of play. They counter-press so Salah and Mane are one on one.

City are almost always attacking a massed defence so we don't get clear chances. However I think we need to upgrade Aguero and Silva now. They have been key parts of our attacking line-up since Mancini. David Silva is not the same player he was. Aguero is not sharp enough either. I am not certain about Aguero. I had my doubts a year or so ago and he kept on going. He gets goals, but I prefer City with electric forwards who can burst past a man into space. Sterling and Jesus are like that. I would play them.

We seem to be stuck between two stools at the moment. The squad has been refreshed in part but we still play the old players. we have to move on, and find out if the new players are good enough.
I totally agree about Liverpool’s style of play.

But I think it’s important to point out that the way we play - building up as a team and moving the defensive line gradually up the pitch in possession so that teams either press us and leave space, or drop back and we have the advantage of having better technical players in tight spaces.

There’s two ways this can fall down for us - if teams press us and we have no pace to run in behind, then we’re not nearly as effective. Missing Sané and Aguero losing a yard has really damaged us on this.

Bernado doesn’t have the pace to run in behind and Mahrez either can’t or won’t. Sterling is our only outlet with and pace and he invariably wants the ball to feet. For me, buying a winger / forward with really threatening pace is a must for us next season. Ironically enough, Sancho would be ideal.

The second thing is, by pushing up when we have possession, it’s absolutely essential that our front 6 press like mad men to win it back when we lose the ball. We’ve done that brilliantly in the past 2 seasons, and it’s a big reason we were so good.

This season, the intensity just isn’t there. Whether it’s will, fitness, age, or all 3, we’re not pressing with the same intensity. Gundogan simply cannot do it. Rodri simply cannot do it to the same degree as Ferna in that position. Dave hasn’t been able to do it with the same intensity. Nor has Bernado or DeBruyne.

By not pressing, it gives the opposition more time to pick out a long pass over the top, like they did for all 3 goals yesterday. The defence is vulnerable as it is, but playing that defence in a high line, with no pressure on the ball? It’s suicidal.

I understand your criticism of Dave, but if you look at the alternatives in that position this season - Bernado, DeBruyne, Gundogan, you’d have to say, Dave’s probably put in the best performances out of all of them. The former 2 have been in horrible form, and Gundogan has proven time and time again over 3 and a half years, he’s simply nowhere near good enough in that position.

I genuinely think this team needs a player in the middle of the park who has pace, can run all day, is hungry, will press the life out of teams, and can actually cause some damage when he has the ball. And Foden has all of those attributes.

Unfortunately, Pep doesn’t seem to trust him. I just really hope during the international break Pep takes stock and looks at what youth, pace and hunger has done for Chelsea. Fergurson’s teams were built on it. Liverpool have it.

Perhaps it’s not as important in Spain or Germany, but this season is starting to look more and more like Mancini and Pellegrini’s last seasons. A bit stale. Lacking spark. Injecting some youth and drive in to it could be our best way out.

We lost to a pub team like Norwich. And then against Wolves at home(another overrated team). How can you expect a team like that to go on a 15 game winning streak?

And even if we did. We'd still probably be at least 6 points behind Liverpool.

But I think it’s important to point out that the way we play - building up as a team and moving the defensive line gradually up the pitch in possession so that teams either press us and leave space, or drop back and we have the advantage of having better technical players in tight spaces.

There’s two ways this can fall down for us - if teams press us and we have no pace to run in behind, then we’re not nearly as effective. Missing Sané and Aguero losing a yard has really damaged us on this.

Bernado doesn’t have the pace to run in behind and Mahrez either can’t or won’t. Sterling is our only outlet with and pace and he invariably wants the ball to feet. For me, buying a winger / forward with really threatening pace is a must for us next season. Ironically enough, Sancho would be ideal.

The second thing is, by pushing up when we have possession, it’s absolutely essential that our front 6 press like mad men to win it back when we lose the ball. We’ve done that brilliantly in the past 2 seasons, and it’s a big reason we were so good.

This season, the intensity just isn’t there. Whether it’s will, fitness, age, or all 3, we’re not pressing with the same intensity. Gundogan simply cannot do it. Rodri simply cannot do it to the same degree as Ferna in that position. Dave hasn’t been able to do it with the same intensity. Nor has Bernado or DeBruyne.

By not pressing, it gives the opposition more time to pick out a long pass over the top, like they did for all 3 goals yesterday. The defence is vulnerable as it is, but playing that defence in a high line, with no pressure on the ball? It’s suicidal.

I understand your criticism of Dave, but if you look at the alternatives in that position this season - Bernado, DeBruyne, Gundogan, you’d have to say, Dave’s probably put in the best performances out of all of them. The former 2 have been in horrible form, and Gundogan has proven time and time again over 3 and a half years, he’s simply nowhere near good enough in that position.

I genuinely think this team needs a player in the middle of the park who has pace, can run all day, is hungry, will press the life out of teams, and can actually cause some damage when he has the ball. And Foden has all of those attributes.

Unfortunately, Pep doesn’t seem to trust him. I just really hope during the international break Pep takes stock and looks at what youth, pace and hunger has done for Chelsea. Fergurson’s teams were built on it. Liverpool have it.

Perhaps it’s not as important in Spain or Germany, but this season is starting to look more and more like Mancini and Pellegrini’s last seasons. A bit stale. Lacking spark. Injecting some youth and drive in to it could be our best way out.

totally agree with all of that.

The best team virtually always wins the league. Even in defeat we were demonstrably better than them today and what gives me encouragement is that you could see that their players know we’re the better team. First few mins they were scared of us, the contentious goals gave them impetus for a while then gradually we took control and dominated them for long spells.

It’s a long old season, no need to panic yet.

they might be scared, they might know we're the better team. But they don't half know how to put the ball in the back of the net against us.

Agree (and of course this is hypothetical) but i think having Foden in that midfield would have given us the legs and enthusiasm for that type of press that was needed.

For me I also find it alarming that our best CB (both yesterday and on other occasions) is basically our no.1 rated defensive midfielder in Fern. Something has got to give, because I think it is totally wrong to put that onus on Fern's shoulders. Since we let Vinny go we didn't replace him and you can put that down to either not wanting to pay the going rate (which i honestly don't think Maguire is worth by the way) or that there was not anyone who Pep wanted being available - however my argument would be that De Ligt was available, and we should have broke the bank for him

It seems that Pep has lost faith in Stones, I don't know what the hell is going on with Mendy but so far it seems to be another wedge of money down the bloody drain. Was he injured again yesterday because i only saw him sat in the stands (next to Zinchenko I think it was).

The defence at the moment lacks a leader, it is lacking organisation and a collective effort. Watching us defend is akin to watching a 'panic station' scene on an episode of Red Dwarf

does this mean that we should blood Garcia in the back four from now onward so that he can be partnered by Laporte when he returns? - thus allowing fernandinho to be playing in his natural position - for me I would do it

Will say again, if the team want's to win anything then they need to stop wasting chances.

We do score a lot but they waste so much more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.