What do you buy for homeless people?

Helped a lad here ( mainly talking!) who has just gone into rehab, he chose not to stay at the brittania where several have been housed as there were too many drugs. Not sure how he will get on but of all winters on the streets this will be one best avoided with less office workers etc. Could easily be me / us.

Certainly agree with some of that mate (especially the huge and complex bit), had that way of thinking myself, I won't deny that, however, as she pointed out to me, there's more than a huge element of altruism involved, more often than not, we do it because it makes US feel better rather than consider the bigger picture.

Yes definitely with you on it often being about making us feel better. In a way, I think that's why I sometimes I prefer to just give someone some spare change and let them do with it what they want. Buying food/distributing can feel a bit performative (however well meant) and I think some homeless people can also feel like they're being judged that they can't be trusted with cash. On a practical level, cash is quite easy to store and can easily be converted into what they need. But like I say, I think there's pros and cons to all of the approaches really. I change my mind all the time. Charities like Crisis are definitely worth supporting regardless though because as well as helping individuals, they do so much valuable work into looking at the wider issues contributing to homelessness.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.