What has happened to our defence ?!!

Re: What has happened to our defense ?!!

PaleBlue said:
Get Kompany playing with Lescott again in a back four at every opportunity. The way RM is treating Lescott is ridiculous frankly.

this!!!! he's chopping and changing the back four/three/five every single game and quite simply they arent gonna get on the same song sheet until they're playing together week in week out. on tuesday he should have played a completely changed back four or kept it as the "proper" back four(ie change the lot or keep exactly the same) to get them some confidence! When toure plays at the back all the others seem to know he is gonna balls up at some stage and seem to be worried about covering for him than doing their own jobs...toure should never pull on a city shirt again he's absolutely gash!

During the title run in last season Mancini fielded the same 11 every game, kept the consistency and we won the league.

This season he's tinkered with the 11 and formation too much too soon and its not working.

Time to knock it on the head and go back to basics ... normal formation and same starting 11. We need to bring the confidence back to players and fans, get back to winning ways and then think about different tactics when we've points in the bag and the players are full of confidence.

If we continue we're just gonna keep digging a bigger hole for ourselves.

LoveCity said:
MCFC-alan88 said:
LoveCity said:
People around me were actually laughing at their fourth goal because of how brutally awful our defence was. It was so comically bad that it almost looked like we were throwing the game. Their second goal where Agbonlahor just seemed to run through the defence unchallenged was incredible... you'd expect that sort of defending in League One. There's just no way to really explain that sort of defending except maybe these players being unfamiliar with each other, but you'd still expect the basic defensive discipline. Please just play the same back four for a while now, with no League Cup to think of... at least until the FA Cup starts.

You weren't in 222 were you? we managed a wry chuckle at how shambolic that goal was.

Nah, 107 and I imagine by that point the ones who hadn't left were City fans with a dry sense of humour who remember what it was like being sh*t. It was nostalgia-inducing by the end to see us so comically bad and any anger had turned to morbid amusement at how stunningly awful we were.

this is exactly what the three or four of us in 117 who were left were saying!

Drabs said:
LoveCity said:
MCFC-alan88 said:
You weren't in 222 were you? we managed a wry chuckle at how shambolic that goal was.

Nah, 107 and I imagine by that point the ones who hadn't left were City fans with a dry sense of humour who remember what it was like being sh*t. It was nostalgia-inducing by the end to see us so comically bad and any anger had turned to morbid amusement at how stunningly awful we were.

this is exactly what the three or four of us in 117 who were left were saying!

Same, me and my mate were right next to the Villa fans in 111 and were just chuckling at the state of our defence as they scored their 4th. Stayed till the final whistle to see how much worse it could get.

The only good thing (if you can call it that?!) is that we were almost so bad it didn't piss me off. Reminded me (to a much, much lesser extent) of back when I had a season ticket under Pearce in 06/07, where it got to the point where I couldn't get pissed off at us we were that bad and resigned to the fact we weren't going to score.

Re: What has happened to our defense ?!!

sonnymancity said:
The players seem lazy to me. After an attack or if we lose possession, players seem to jog back and put no real pressure on the ball. Just by getting men behind the ball in an organised zonal marking position, teams will find it harder. I also saw Dzeko chasing the ball down high up the pitch against Arsenal, and they just passed round him. He turned and screamed at the midfield for not pushing up and closing down with him as a team unit. Barcelona try and win the ball back as soon as they lose it. On average, they win the ball back 6 seconds after giving it away. We need to do that! If we win the ball back quickly with pressure high up the pitch, we have the ball and are more likely to score, they dont have the ball and cant score, and if they do pass it round us and keep possession, its gonna have to be something very special to pass from back to front and create a chance when you have a pack of hungry nutters hassling you all over the pitch. Its tiring but when we win the ball, we rest and pass pass pass!

Totally agree with this, this is what we were like last season, win the ball back and play at our own pace, boss the game. we havent done that yet this season !

Craggers said:
During the title run in last season Mancini fielded the same 11 every game, kept the consistency and we won the league.

This season he's tinkered with the 11 and formation too much too soon and its not working.

Time to knock it on the head and go back to basics ... normal formation and same starting 11. We need to bring the confidence back to players and fans, get back to winning ways and then think about different tactics when we've points in the bag and the players are full of confidence.

If we continue we're just gonna keep digging a bigger hole for ourselves.

When we reached the title run in Mancini knew exactly what his best team and formation was. So he could play it in every game of the run in. He also knew what changes he could make to that line up if things weren't going well such as when losing 2-1 to QPR.

The reason why he knew his best team and formation was because he'd experimented with it during the season. Rotated the full backs, occasionally switched to 3 at the back. And the team knew how to play in different formations. And players were reasonably fresh because they hadn't played every match.

If he cant experiment with different formations at this stage of the season when can he?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.