what has happened with Paul Jewell at West Brom?

Ja Salford Blue

Not sure if this has already been covered on here, but does anyone know what is happening?

He got appointed assistant manager by his good mate Tony Pulis, then 7 days later walks out and is taking legal action against the club!

Prestwich_Blue said:
Story seems to be that they wanted to appoint someone else as well and didn't have the budget so reduced Jewell's remuneration to accomodate the other person.

Think Club Shop and his team wanted to take a reduction as well in salary.
Probably weighed up that taking a hit on basic might give them more in the medium term in bonus payments if they do well?

Whatever has gone on it reflects badly on all involved. Either one or both parties has dropped a massive clanger but probably the club. Jewel has been in the game long enough not to do anything stupid, I can’t imagine how you could get yourself justifiably sacked so quickly.

Gaudion M said:
Whatever has gone on it reflects badly on all involved. Either one or both parties has dropped a massive clanger but probably the club. Jewel has been in the game long enough not to do anything stupid, I can’t imagine how you could get yourself justifiably sacked so quickly.
True, people who've been in the game a long time never do anything stupid. Just ask George Graham, or Dave the Leg, or Big Ron, 'Arry and his dog or just about any english manager who's been in the game a long time. Old english managers are just about the most corrupt bunch you'll ever come across, I wouldn't for a minute suggest being in the game a long time excludes you from doing something stupid.

Tbilisi said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Story seems to be that they wanted to appoint someone else as well and didn't have the budget so reduced Jewell's remuneration to accomodate the other person.

Think Club Shop and his team wanted to take a reduction as well in salary.
Probably weighed up that taking a hit on basic might give them more in the medium term in bonus payments if they do well?

Yes, the problem for WBA is that having appointed someone on £x pa, it's a little tricky legally to then reduce their pay 7 days later without the staff member's agreement. I suspect Jewell may be arguing it amounts to constructive dismissal and that he deserves some compo from his original contract.

I heard he nicked Pulis' hat. You just don't do that sort of thing.

Also heard that Pulis wanted to increase the involvement of Francis who was doing the odd bit here and there. But didn't have the money so asked Jewell to take a pay cut.

I think the first is the more likely though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.