Sporting events potentially cancelled because of Covid-19 outbreak?

The cynic in me says that the fear from governments is largely an economic/financial one as the amount of working days lost (likely even bigger owing to the added strain on healthcare provision) because of a genuine pandemic of this nature could trigger another major global recession.
China is starting to suffer massively economically, they derive approx 80% of their income from small/medium businesses, of which a large proportion of them only have cash reserves of 1-2 months. They have been on shutdown since the Chinese New Year. Another few weeks and ...

Took the wife to see her neurologist last week and he thinks it is no worse than winter flu. I would rather believe him than all the media scaremongering as he is well respected and his wife is a medical professor

This isn't the black death though mate its the flu for those already at the end of life or severely ill and to the rest of us its a bad cold/bug we will get over.
The fact that it isn't the Black Death isn't encouraging. The 1918 Spanish Flu death toll of 60 -100 million might turn out a better comparison if the current relatively benign assessment of its mortality potential is wrong ( see UEA Epidemiology Prof on BBC today.) Also, in terms of the vulnerability of the elderly - not just those at the end of life btw - "Today, 8.5 percent of people worldwide (617 million) are aged 65 and over. According to “An Aging World: 2015,” this percentage is projected to jump to nearly 17 percent of the world's population by 2050 (1.6 billion)."

Took the wife to see her neurologist last week and he thinks it is no worse than winter flu. I would rather believe him than all the media scaremongering as he is well respected and his wife is a medical professor
Both he and you should note that the Chinese doctor who first raised the alarm died of it aged 35 and had no pre- existing health problems.

Both he and you should note that the Chinese doctor who first raised the alarm died of it aged 35 and had no pre- existing health problems.

Is this the Chinese doctor who was arrested because he pissed off the Chinese authorities George?

Suppose dying of the flu was a s good as a firing squad....

That he knew of possibly. Admittedly it is concerning to lots of people but seemingly fit people die all the time. Get on with our lives and deal with things when they happen instead of panicking as usual. My missus has secondary progressive ms and is in a wheelchair and lives for the day. I wish more people had her attitude in life

Is this the Chinese doctor who was arrested because he pissed off the Chinese authorities George?

Suppose dying of the flu was a s good as a firing squad....
Nah, he was already being celebrated as a hero of the Chinese Communist Party and disobeyed very strict instructions by dying despite the attentions of a regiment of doctors.

Last edited:
Nah, he was already being celebrated as a hero of Chinese Communist Party and disobeyed very strict instructions by dying despite the attentions of a regiment of doctors.

Mate they arrested him because he was spreading news of the virus which they didnt like one bit.

Im not saying the flue didnt get him but its a tad suspicious if you ask me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.