What is the longest drive you've done ?

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
I've never done a really long drive. So maybe this will be a crazy idea.

We are planning a trip from Brisbane to visit friends in Perth.
If it were possible to drive non-stop it would take about 60 hours using the coastal route Hwy 1.

Obviously that is not possible so we're planning to drive about 4 hours a day so should take roughly 18 days. We will spend 3 or 4 days not driving at all got staying in towns that sound interesting, like Coober Pedy where there are opal mines, you can visit, and wineries in the Barrosa valley. Things like that.

On the way back home we aim to go round the top end of Australia.
This would take 90 hours in one hit as it's longer. But we will take about 30 days to get back doing the same sort of thing.
Aiming to do this in our winter (June) as the trip home through the northern tropics would be too hot and humid in summer. (Top third of Oz is tropical)
Total driving time over 150 hours to circumnavigate Australia.

Has anyone done any long drives like this, any advice, tips etc. ?

2._Map_of_The_Big_Lap.png

Attachments

• images (3).jpeg
    images (3).jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 38
Isle of Wight and back from Oldham continuous. Oldham to the west coast of Ireland with a ferry in between.

Not too bad as I don’t like driving.

I lived in Oz for a couple years and drove from Sydney all the way round and back into Sydney. I took a year doing it. Absolutely brilliant. I was in a campervan so speed was not on the menu. I found my heel hurt after driving a few hours as it was in the same position sat on the accelerator pedal. I used a defrosted gel back (the type you use for applying cold compress to injured limbs) and placed it between my foot and the floor of the van. Also get a key chain that you can wear around your neck for your vehicle key and always have it with you. I’d say you’ll probably end up driving for more then 4hrs per day in some parts. There were times on the west coast where I wouldn’t see another car/van for 12/24 hours. Also take advantage of the locals hospitality. I had a routine of stopping at 1800 everyday and having a beer in the local pub. Excellent way to meet folk and most of my adventures came from these meetings with locals.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.