What is the meaning of life?

Oolon Colluphid said:
ElanJo said:
PaleBlue said:
From BB's earlier post -

Understand that friends come and go, but that a precious few should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps and geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young.

How very true. I turn 40 next Feb and went away last weekend with three mates to Lancaster where we went to Uni - what a f**king laugh, felt 19 again all weekend, quality. Love my wife and kids - imagine if my dad hadn't met my mum and her dad hadn't met her mum etc etc etc all the way backad infinitum then my kids would never have been born - life's a real gift fellas, we all get to watch City by odds that would make Paddy Power shit his briches!

Paleblue has it spot on. The odds of each of us individually being here, when you really think about it, are astronomically and utterly unfathomably magnificent!. There is no 'meaning of life'. Life just is. If that makes you depressed just think how unbelievably lucky you are to be alive (even if you only live for 10-20-30 years) and how brilliantly rare, and therefore special, you truly are.
There really is no need for concepts such as gods to make life and the universe beautiful, valuable or enjoyable. Indeed, It's a travesty, and small-minded, in my opinion, to choose to blot out the majesty of everything around us, and how it all came to be, with such small time concepts. The grandeur of the universe, which includes each and every one of us, is much more thrilling than any written text.

I'm with ElanoJo on this one. There is no meaning to life. Its just is (as I said earlier). What I find interesting is that people are so arrogant that they believe there MUST be a meaning to their life.
Some people seem to think they must have a meaning to their life to get them out of bed in the morning.
On a cosmic scale we are nothing. Our perception of things is somewhat skewed after all we live on a small lump of rock, surrounded by a thin layer of gas, sitting in the bottom of a deep gravity well, hurtling through space 90 million miles away from a huge nuclear fire ball and we think this is normal and has meaning.

Hope on the other hand is what gets us through the day. Hope isn't the meaning of life.
I'm sure you have heard of Pandora's box. Pandora's box contained evils to be unleashed on mankind, all the ills, toils, suffering and sickness etc etc must most importantly at the bottom of the box was hope.

I find this explanation flawed, even paradoxical without intent.

If 'hope' only gets us through the day, what gets us through Life, then?

Secondly, if, at the the bottom of Pandora's Box we find Hope, surely that answers the question of the meaning of Life?

Bigga said:
Oolon Colluphid said:
ElanJo said:
Paleblue has it spot on. The odds of each of us individually being here, when you really think about it, are astronomically and utterly unfathomably magnificent!. There is no 'meaning of life'. Life just is. If that makes you depressed just think how unbelievably lucky you are to be alive (even if you only live for 10-20-30 years) and how brilliantly rare, and therefore special, you truly are.
There really is no need for concepts such as gods to make life and the universe beautiful, valuable or enjoyable. Indeed, It's a travesty, and small-minded, in my opinion, to choose to blot out the majesty of everything around us, and how it all came to be, with such small time concepts. The grandeur of the universe, which includes each and every one of us, is much more thrilling than any written text.

I'm with ElanoJo on this one. There is no meaning to life. Its just is (as I said earlier). What I find interesting is that people are so arrogant that they believe there MUST be a meaning to their life.
Some people seem to think they must have a meaning to their life to get them out of bed in the morning.
On a cosmic scale we are nothing. Our perception of things is somewhat skewed after all we live on a small lump of rock, surrounded by a thin layer of gas, sitting in the bottom of a deep gravity well, hurtling through space 90 million miles away from a huge nuclear fire ball and we think this is normal and has meaning.

Hope on the other hand is what gets us through the day. Hope isn't the meaning of life.
I'm sure you have heard of Pandora's box. Pandora's box contained evils to be unleashed on mankind, all the ills, toils, suffering and sickness etc etc must most importantly at the bottom of the box was hope.

Secondly, if, at the the bottom of Pandora's Box we find Hope, surely that answers the question of the meaning of Life?

How so?

I'm struggling with the idea that hope, another word for "want" where you don't have full control, is the meaning of life. I may want a kitkat, but as I don't have control over whether the newsagent down the road has any, all I can do is hope that they do. The likelihood of them having a kitkat is quite high so I will make the effort to walk to the shop. If I wanted a jumbo jet, and the newsagent is the only shop in town(or the world) then I can hope that they have one, but it's so unlikely that I won't bother making the trip and instead do something more worthwhile. I'm digressing, I know,, but what I guess I am saying is that hope is not the be all and end all and neither is it always a good trait/belief to have. In many ways it makes someone apathetic "Have hope in god and all will be well"

This has got far too deep for my intellectual level but I'll give it a shot.

In my opinion there isn't a 'meaning to life'. Just do what you do and enjoy it. We're a long time dead and focusing on this sort of thing, albeit fascinating, just distracts us from living out our lives in the first place. There can't be ONE generic meaning. We've all got our own.

Bigga said:
Oolon Colluphid said:
ElanJo said:
PaleBlue said:
From BB's earlier post -

Understand that friends come and go, but that a precious few should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps and geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young.

How very true. I turn 40 next Feb and went away last weekend with three mates to Lancaster where we went to Uni - what a f**king laugh, felt 19 again all weekend, quality. Love my wife and kids - imagine if my dad hadn't met my mum and her dad hadn't met her mum etc etc etc all the way backad infinitum then my kids would never have been born - life's a real gift fellas, we all get to watch City by odds that would make Paddy Power shit his briches!

Alright then .............. Hope is what gets us through LIFE. But if you can't get through one day what hope (not meant ironically) have got to get through a life time?

However, I don't understand your reasoning to "Secondly, if, at the the bottom of Pandora's Box we find Hope, surely that answers the question of the meaning of Life?"
How does it? And also, why does it "surely" prove it?

I understand the word hope to mean a desire and/or expectation. What I desire or expect does not mean anything.
Although I note that the Christians have changed its meaning to some sort of truth or something equally ridiculous.

As for us just being here to reproduce, that is our purpose in life, to pass on our genes, to perpetuate our SPIECES. However, just because we have a purpose it does not logically follow that our purpose has meaning.

Also,

No one has been able to address the central theme to my arguement (ElanJo excluded). To put it more bluntly.

Please explain to me why you think there HAS to be a meaning to life in the first place.

I suggest your mind has been corrupted at an early age by religious clap trap, consciously or (more worringly) sub-consciously.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.