What team should we play in the next 3 away games?

an incredible test for Pep. We deffo should prioritize the PL games and not PSG away but knowing Pep we will not do that.

Tuchel, Pochettino, Klopp will test us much more than Hasenhuttl.

Tuchel had 3 games vs Pep, 1 game at Etihad , 1 at Wembley in FA cup, and 1 CL final and he won all 3 outfoxing Pep.
If it happens 4 times in a row thats a grim view for Pep, and this is the first that will be front of a full Chelsea crowd away from home so this in some way the hardest one.

First of all he has to match Chelsea's width, I think only way to do that is going 5 at the back which we cannot do if Stones/Laporte are half fit only or not fit at all.
Minimum we need to get from this game is a draw.

Chelsea will put their strongest 11 for this, we have to do same regardless that we have PSG 3 days after.

PSG away we need a much more of a defensive side imo set up for counters, pragmatic tactics, hoping for a draw or snatching a win.
get the players in that can and do track back the most upfront. (Jesus, Foden for sure)
a draw would be a great result here, we do not have to win, we just have to beat Brugge 2x, Leipzig 1x and not to lose to PSG at home or away and we are 1st.

Liverpool away I think this is a Sunday after we play PSG on Tuesday, so few days to relax, also they have Porto away which was a tough shit game for us last year in group stage, very physical/aggro side...
here we need the best passers, they will press us like hell, especially after seeing our struggle vs Soton, even Rodri will struggle imo, so Pep needs to be clever we cannot just stick Gundo next to Rodri or it will be similar midfield than vs Soton game.

Pep must be furious not having a top striker again because he has to move players around upfront who dont really fit what they have to play or they just not as good. for example Sterling's best position for us is playing from the right but that is with Jesus/Mahrez 99% of the time. Grealish and Foden is best from the left, so Sterling will rarely play there but even Foden has to play deeper role if we stick with Grealish from left.
Leaves us with Torres and Sterling to play centrally, and to me they are not good enough there to provide dominant "striker" performances.

We are also missing a great CM, only CM we have is Gundo, but I dont think he has the legs, workrate, defensive skills needed there, I always liked gundo closer to the box kind of like an AM, arriving to the box and that role worked out really well. but the deeper he is the more problems he can cause defensively albeit this is more of an issue against teams that do not sit back and park the bus which is probably less than 20% of opponents.

huge test for Pep this next period, currently I cannot see us winning all three hard games, but we are surely better than losing all three.
if we lose the two PL games we would be 9-9 points behind Chelsea and Pool both after 7 rounds, thats incredibly shit for a start. Probably also 9 behind United too.

We have conceded 1, as have Chelsea and Liverpool. Are we really saying that both of them are much better than we are? I agree though that 2 defeats would make catching up very tough.

id take 3 draws but I’d prioritise the league games but we all know this won’t happen, it could be like a few years ago when we played Liverpool either side of United game and lose all 3!

For me the PSG game is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Even if we get beat we’ll still comfortably get out of the group but we really don’t want to drop more points in the league.

So for reasons above I’d go -
Chelsea - Full strength first XI
PSG - second XI - complete rest for key players
Liverpool - Back to fill strength first XI

We've been so open the past two games, I hope that's gonna be seen to it or else we could be in trouble

Definitely agree we should rest players in the PSG game. We can afford to lose that and should still qualify.

For me the absolute must win game is the Chelsea one. It’s about time we showed those bastards we are better than them after three shit performances against them. We cannot allow them to get a superiority complex over us or to fall more points behind them.

Obviously it would be brilliant to beat Liverpool but I don’t see them maintaining a serious title challenge so a draw or even a defeat there wouldn’t see us out the title race. A defeat to Chelsea I think would see them believe they will be champions this season, and probably end any hope we had of keeping up after the shit results we’ve already had against Spurs and S’oton and the fact we spurn so many chances to score.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.