What will City's tradition be?

Garry.Cook

Just reading a post someone linked on RedCafe, and one of the rags was spouting about their 'history' and 'tradition'. It got me thinking, I know we have a history (that a lot of people conveniently forget) but right now our club is going through a major transition and the success we are on the verge of is going to change us completely.

Recently our only traditions have been our inconsistency, having the best fans in all the land and landing overpaid has-beens ala McManaman and Fowler. Obviously things are going to drastically change and when we look at things in 10 or 15 years what are we going to say is our trademark style or signing policy? Will it be invest in youth and devote your whole team to it (Arsenal), will it be promote one or two world-class youngsters through and try to build a decent team around them (Liverpool), will it be our world-class academy products with just one or two marquee signings (Barcelona), will it be a team made up of £30M signings that we claim to have produced ourselves (Rags) or will we create a whole new style of development and transfer strategy?

Opinions?

I just hope we dont shoot ourselves in the foot with our youth policy. There has been a steady stream from the academy but that will dry up if we keep buying players for 30 million and youngsters see no hope of getting into the first team

Burnage Is Blue said:
I just hope we dont shoot ourselves in the foot with our youth policy. There has been a steady stream from the academy but that will dry up if we keep buying players for 30 million and youngsters see no hope of getting into the first team

At the moment we're engaged on a rapid "catch-up" policy to break into the top 4 asap. I expect the emphasis to change very soon from expensive established signings to bringing in the top youngsters from all over the world at 16 and developing them as future first teamers.

Winning things. Recent history is just as valid. If 1993-2008 hadn't happened the rags would be a lot less vocal about their history.

who says Chelsea don't have a history or tradition now? Bitter fans of 'sky four'* clubs on internet forums and that's about it - as far as everyone with a more objective view, especially those in European football are concerned, they do - and it's all based on fairly recent stuff.

We'll be the same but better because we'll win a European Cup ;-D

*well, the other three of 'em I mean obviously.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.