Whatever happened to our supposed Pressing Style?

CatMan

Title say it all really.

So much was made of this high tempo win the ball back and hunt in packs philosophy. Exactly where has it gone? In fact I am not so certain that we ever really had it anyway.

Seems bizarre that we seem to be starting games in a malaise and have to fall behind to wake up!

It was really tiring and made our players get out of breath.

Don't know but both Barca and Dortmund have toned it down lately aswell and both also look a shadow of the teams they were not long ago. For me this was the best tenet of Guardiola's football philosophy. 3 players chasing the ball for 10 seconds and if it isn't recovered drop into a line, so simple yet so, so so effective. Although you need talented players with incredible desire to work if you're going to do it.

...see last 20 minutes of Wigan match. The style only works if the whole team can provide the work-rate necessary.

I was wondering this on Sunday. It sets the tone for the rest of our play. I remember when we played at spurs, their full back had the ball and 3 of our players were chasing him down. I can't recall noticing it since.

cheddar404 said:
I was wondering this on Sunday. It sets the tone for the rest of our play. I remember when we played at spurs, their full back had the ball and 3 of our players were chasing him down. I can't recall noticing it since.

Last two times we did it we hammered Spurs and then Chelsea in the cup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.