What's a good salary?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Otamendi's Beard, 5 Oct 2018.

1. Manchester la la la la

Manchester la la la la

I earn 20k a year Mrs earns 17.5k add on tax credits for the children and my disability benefit it adds up to a decent amount a month left after bills etc

We rent a council house and don't have many bills other than the necessary and fortunate in that our child care costs are minimal as we pay the kids grandparents to pick the kids up from school and I have an arrangement with work that I can do the morning school runs plus the Mrs gets a day off in the week

We did spend about 7 years living off just my wage though when the kids were tiny then once they got to school age worked very hard to get to where we are now. Used to drive cheap 600 quid cars etc and the car we have now I used redundancy money to buy outright. Used to be skint and haven't forgotten those days so live within our means even though the money we make now could see us with a bigger faster car etc.

Only major expenses are a family holiday every two years or so

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Pelly Greeny

Pelly Greeny

How many weeks holiday????? I think I need to have a word with HR about my annual leave allowance ................

And your partner isn't paying tax but gets free NHS treatment - walk in centres, GP, A&E, ambulance etc, gets use of the roads for nothing, can use funded rail and travel systems too - and doesn't pay a penny towards it! That's not fair!

If you don't like it, get a shitty job, send the other half out to work and get a couple of kids on board. With the two tax allowances, child benefit,tax credits etc you'll be better off than you are now - and have the joy of children ;-)

3. Kompany Car

Kompany Car

Think what @Chippy_boy is getting at is the tax system in general seems to penalise a high earning individual who’s wife/partner may not be working, more than a husband and wife who may jointly have the same household income.
    With the child tax credit thing if either the husband or wife exceeds an income of £60k then you get nothing but if a husband and wife are earning £50k each (household income of £100k) they still get the full amount.

ADVERTISEMENT

4. aguerrrroooooooooooo

aguerrrroooooooooooo

Whatever makes you happy, no point in working yourself to the bone though if you have no time to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    I'm jealous of people who make really good money every year but I wouldn't want to be working 60hr weeks + weekends to get it, I'd rather have more free time

5. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

My wife is getting fuck all for free you numpty. I am paying for me, for her and an extra > £12k more already.

6. Gaudion M

Gaudion M

I am also in this situation but don't share the same view. I earn good money - double what some on here have described as a good salary, my wife is not working and can bring up our kids without much hassle or needing to work. If both of us worked and we still had the same gross income then our tax bill would be much lower as you say but you are missing the fact that our lives would be exponentially more difficult and as result more expensive. I have no issue with people in that situation paying less tax and I'm no Corbyn fan. Tax should only kick in once you are doing relatively well - taxing low earners is counter productive as it just makes some jobs unviable.

Indaparkside and without a dream like this.
  7. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Spot on.

I pay about £12k per year more than next door, even before child tax creak which they get and I get none of that either. The child tax thing is mildly annoying but the big issue is just how much worse off we are, just because only one of us works.

8. Indaparkside

Indaparkside

ive just used the gov tax calculator if I earn 36.000 a year have one child and my wife’s not working we don’t qualify for any tax credits at all

9. kinkyblue

kinkyblue

Any reason why you both don’t work?

10. Chippy_boy

Chippy_boy

Yes, but it's not relevant nor for discussion here.