What's happened to our possession style?

SambaStyle

Seems like we don't dominate the ball as much anymore...

Stats back it up.

2017/2018 we had 66.4% average possession for the year, 743 average passes per game
2018/2019 we had 64% average possession for the year, 699 averages passes per game
2019/2020 so far 60.9% average possession for the year, 650 average passes per game

Good trend, bad trend, irrelevant trend?

I would love to see the average distance covered stats if anyone has them. Or if there’s any statisticians recording runs of high intensity. Certainly to the eye, our press has vanished in comparison to what it used to be. By strolling around the pitch too much, we’re taking longer to win the ball back, resulting in less possession and fewer passes.

It all stems from the press, and that drop off stems from playing Silva too much and Aguero not being able to press like a year or two ago. Then there’s the psychological aspect... after two great years, we may have lost a bit of drive. It all adds up. It’s like we occasionally need an indifferent league campaign to then have a great one.

Last edited:
I've always thought its been about the speed with which we move the ball and I think this season that has dropped. Team appear to get back and organised quicker because of this. I don't think anyone in particular is to blame, but obviously Sane would help with that. I've agreed with Pep (sure he'll be relieved about that) about Phil, but he has seemed to be the catalyst recently for our mini recovery.

I would love to see the average distance covered stats if anyone has them. Or if there’s any statisticians recording runs of high intensity. Certainly to the eye, our press has vanished in comparison to what it used to be. By strolling around the pitch too much, we’re taking longer to win the ball back, resulting in less possession and fewer passes.

It all stems from the press, and that drop off stems from playing Silva too much and Aguero not being able to press like a year or two ago. Then there’s the psychological aspect... after two great years, we may have lost a bit of drive. It all adds up. It’s like we occasionally need an indifferent league campaign to then have a great one.

Average time to recover possession under Guardiola:
2016-17: 8.2 seconds
2017-18: 8.5 seconds
2018-19: 8.7 seconds
2019-20: 9.8 seconds

This season top 3 are: Liverpool 8.9 seconds, Chelsea at 9.2 seconds, and then Southampton 9.4 secs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.