What's the ceiling of this City team?

alexmcity

Team supported
City
What is the most it can achieve regarding (1) performances and (2) trophies?

Naturally, the benchmark for a great team is Pep's Barcelona. Can Pep's City become as good as Pep's Barca?

The obvious difference between both teams is Messi. Can Pep compensate for the absence of a Messi in this City team by his more mature and probably more advanced understanding of the game?

In my view, Pep's City can match Pep's Barca in terms of dazzling performances. Think we'll probably see this season astonishingly good games. But trophies wise it will be difficult to compare with Barca. We have to win the CL twice.

So, what's the ceiling of this team? Can/will we get even better?

We won't get much better.

it's fine margins costing us games at the minute. We'll have years where they are fixed, but they are so minor it's not really going to mean we've gone up a level further.

I think we'll win the CL in next 2 years, but it would be harsh to say we need to be a better team than last seasons one to do that.

VAR will answer the question ?

But sky is the limit if we can win at anfield.
And keep hold of PEP and his staff.
C.T.I.D

We won't get much better.

it's fine margins costing us games at the minute. We'll have years where they are fixed, but they are so minor it's not really going to mean we've gone up a level further.

I think we'll win the CL in next 2 years, but it would be harsh to say we need to be a better team than last seasons one to do that.

I agree that we were good enough to win the CL in 17/18 and 18/19. Referee decisions made it impossible in 17/18 and mistakes on our part in 18/19.

I still wonder why Pep played such a strong team vs Brighton in the FA Cup and a weakened team vs Spurs a few days later. It's true that Aguero missed a pen but we were without Bernardo and Kevin in the 1-st leg against Spurs and it didn't help us.

All that's missing really is a comprehensive run in the Champions League which sees us lift the trophy.

I don't think it is possible for an English team to win everything in the way that Pep's Barca team won all 6 consecutive trophies they were in for the way they did in 2008 - 09, but I think the treble is an aim. Similarly, I can't see this City team having the tactical influence or legacy that Barcelona team had, completely redefining passing and possession, but I could see us being spoken about as offering the ultimate expression of it in the premier league style.

Think we should be measured on 2 things:

1) How well we do after Pep leaves. He's the best manager in the world; if we can perform even comparable to how we have the past 3 years, it's a sign he's built something greater than his individual input.
2) Champions League. This is the only trophy we've not won and would really cement us as one of the best teams ever.

I think there are reserves in this team for further improvement. Ferna, Dave and Kun are getting older and it won't be easy to replace them. But, on the other hand, Eddie is still quite young for a keeper, Eric and John are enetring their prime and will get better with more experience. At their age Van Dijk wasn't even recognised as a top CB. Cancelo, Zinch and hopefully Mendy are also relatively young. Same with Rodry and Jesus. Raz and Bernardo may become even better, they are still 2-3 years away from being in their prime. Foden is extremely talented. In short, this team, with several additions next transfer windows, can get even better. And probably will. Sky is the ceiling.

Hopefully Pep will stay for 2-3 years more to see what the likes of Eddie, Eric, Cancelo, Zinch, Rodry, Raz, Bernardo, Jesus and Foden can achieve when they reach their prime.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.