What's the most you've ever paid for a sports event ticket?

Lovebitesandeveryfing

Seeing the prices of the Club Wembley tickets still available got me to thinking about this.
Now I'm very lucky, through a contact I've got a ticket for £70. That of course skews my outlook. I look at that price (i.e. £250) and I think, “Nah, there's no way I'd pay that”. But actually, pushing it very hard, and virtually leaving myself without any funds to do anything this summer except moon wistfully over the Transfer Forum all summer long, I could in fact stump up that cash if I absolutely had to. I'd be pissed off about it, but I could. A number of other things would come into play if I didn't have a ticket. I was last at Wembley to see us in the F.A. Cup final in 1981 (brrrr! don't like to even allude to it…). I was too young in 1969, and I simply didn't have enough points in 2011. but I did get to the League Cup final against Arsenal last year. I would dearly love to see us lift that F.A. Cup, even if it's only once in a lifetime.
But I realise that many simply can't pay that kind of money. If you've got kids, a mortgage, you're out of work etc., it's simply not on. So my question is, what's the most you've paid for a sports event (involving City or not) and what determined it?
For myself, I was in Montreal for a few days about three years back, and it happens that the Canadiens (the “Habs” as they're known to their fans) were playing a Stanley Cup play-off match with the series finely balanced at, I think, 3-3 or 2-3. This is ice hockey we're talking about, or simply hockey as the Canadians call it. I'm no hockey fan although I liked watching clips of Wayne Gretzky in his pomp, the way you like watching any athlete who is legendary in his own sport. I thought, fuck it, this is a big, big event in town, and I may well never be in Montreal again in my life to see a top level hockey match. So I went down the Bell Centre and stone me, they still had a few tickets left. I decided to go for broke, not getting a seat right up in the gods, but one in the second tier — I think I paid 300$ (Canadian, that is) or it might even have been 350. Absolutely nuts, but a once in a lifetime thing. No regrets, it was pure, absolute adrenalin for about eighty minutes or so, with stoppages. The crowd was simply crazy. So that's my story. What about you?

Think I paid £90 odd for a ticket close to the moon away in Barca, the game where Zab was sent off.

It was face value but not all there were proper fans etc, tickets must have been creamed off even then.

Never paid above face value & never will.

£567 for a cat 1 ticket for last year's world cup semi final.

Stoke final and £1,000 for a brace from the club but included 1st class rail transport and a meal at Hilton Wembley and even got a free program.Bunged it on an interest free credit card so £10 each a week for a year. Totally painless and worth every penny ... Great memories for when we start chewing our gums in the old folks home and mucho gracious dear Yaya.

$250 to play the Jack Nicklaus course at Hualalai , big island Hawaii. Mind you that was the day rate and I went round 3 times like the cheap Wythenshawe scallie I am.

In 2003 when we played Porto(mourninho’s diving, timewasting, cheating bastards) in the Uefa cup final, one of our group had to pay £600 for a ticket.

Some paid more than that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.