What's the ratio of City to Utd in Manchester now?

Depends who you are referring to. We're no.1 in Manchester now by numbers by every metric.

Doesn't matter whether you're talking about match-going fans, or just people in general.

If you are referring to England, and committed fans, I agree roughly.

If you are talking globally, it will take 2-3 years no more. Look at the data.

China has the largest population on Earth by some distance. As at 31 Dec 2018, these are the Weibo subscriber figures:

Man Utd 9,318,276
Man City 8,312,356
Barcelona 5,950,462
Arsenal 4,718,016
Chelsea, 4,257,054
Real Madrid 3,470,462

Clearly this is just part of a wider picture, but I think this type of support changes very quickly season by season acccording to who wins what, and which league is being broadcast in which country.

There is absolutely no way we will overtake Utd’s global fan base within 2-3 years mate.

We are still relatively ‘new’, whereas they’ve been known globally since Munich.

Based on my experience - pubs, people I know ... there are way more united fans in Stockport then city fans.

Surprised by how Man City fans there are in Salford though
The thing is families now move out into outlying towns. So kids of Manchester parents now living in Stockport arent side stepping County in favour of the rags or Blues but simply following their parents support of their team.

I am from Newton Heath, was as to be expected rag centric, but our local in the late 70's to late 90's, The Robin Hood Inn (R.I.P.) was mostly Blue, and of the Blues in there, most all were match going, whereas the rags in there were Sky watchers, bar one.

Fast forward to now, and of my mates in 'real life' and on Facebook etc, nothing has changed .... most all Blues are seasoncard match goers, whereas every single rag I know never goes to a game. Ever.

We now live in Marland between Heywood (surprisingly very Blue) and Rochdale. A gardener here, Dale born and dragged up, who we use, and his mate are rabid Liverpool 'fans'. Though I know I have been to more games at Klanfield than they have between them ... But do see more rag shirts around the centre than ours. Oddly on Asian lads/kids ...

Agree with the first bit, but in terms of numbers West Ham have got the whole east end and half of essex and are pushing the big 3 close, and having the London Stadium (even thought its shit) has enabled them to nearly double their match going fan base.
Orient and Dagenham may dispute that claim ha ha also Milwall (the district) is in the east end although the team play south of the river.

Slumming it a bit there GDM. You're at risk of catching nits and scabies and having your pocket picked.

Possibly by me.
I frequently attend down-at-heel shopping centres in order to remain in-touch with and relatable to the man in the street. You'll frequently catch me in the Wolfrun Centre in Wolverhampton mixing with the locals. Only caught scabies twice in the last 18 months.

The thing is families now move out into outlying towns. So kids of Manchester parents now living in Stockport arent side stepping County in favour of the rags or Blues but simply following their parents support of their team.

yea obviously there are kids whose parents are from manchester and support city or united, which is fair enough. those towns though have their own populations. based on people i know, lots have family going back generations in stockport and other towns. county is a good example, I know a lot of people who used to go and watch county regularly who also go to city games. there are a lot of people who 'side step' their local side in favour of united and city.

a lot of our match going support is from the towns around manchester. oldham, stockport and salford are big blue areas.

Based on club data for season ticket holders going into the 2013/14 season (prior to stadium expansion)

Manchester,Stockport,Tameside accounted for 38.5 percent of season ticket holders.

Within Greater Manchester the least concentrated was Bolton with 1.6 percent followed by Wigan 1.7 percent of overall season ticket holders

70 percent of season ticket holders based in Greater Manchester.

Per head of population Tameside had the highest concentration of blues (I checked this based on population of areas in wiki).

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.