What's your idea of a good salary?

ColinBellsjockstrap

I think really it depends where you live, and what your expectations are.

For example near central London 450k would buy you a two bedroomed terrace house, but near the coast in East Yorkshire or parts of NE Lancashire a four bedroomed detached with double garage for £150,000.

Also, do you have a spouse/partner/children?

Are you happy driving a nice three year old Mondeo, or does it have to be a top spec AMG Mercedes?

Anyhow, back to the original question.

I would say For the average person a minimum of £100,000 would be a GOOD salary....bearing in mind a very large percentage goes in tax.

I'm sure some on here would struggle by on that, three kids in private school... but to many others it would seem a fortune.

In other words are you better earning 60k in London or 30k in Blackburn?

i think it also depends on your relationship status - a couple earning say £50K each probably manage quite nicely but if the relationship breaks down and all of a sudden you have the same bills with only one income of £50K then not so good.

We all live to our means anyway I think I earn a decent salary but if i earned 3 times as much still dont think i would have any savings id just spend more

Urmston will pay you 10 Bob a week for 40 hours work.

Just don't expect a pay rise next year!

Are you saying that £100,000 p.a. for the individual is a "Good" salary, or £100,000 household income is a decent salary? I would hazard a guess that not many individuals on here would be in the former category bearing in mind the average national salary is £27,000. In fact I'd be frigging delighted if I fell into the latter category!!

me and the missus do everything we want when want and still manage to save loads every month and we earn 25k in total!

it all depends on the lifestyle you want, we are very content with the simple life and shun all types of luxury, but we are incredibly happy.

Mayor West said:
me and the missus do everything we want when want and still manage to save loads every month and we earn 25k in total!

it all depends on the lifestyle you want, we are very content with the simple life and shun all types of luxury, but we are incredibly happy.

So it is clear you have no kids.
25K per year equates to what 12-1500 per month.
Not a chance you can "save loads" each month on that, go out,buy clothes,petrol,shopping....
You either live well beyond your means and are overdrawn permanently or you are just lying.

So tell us how you do it?

Over 70k per year in our household coming in,but could always do with a little more.

papillon said:
Are you saying that £100,000 p.a. for the individual is a "Good" salary, or £100,000 household income is a decent salary? I would hazard a guess that not many individuals on here would be in the former category bearing in mind the average national salary is £27,000. In fact I'd be frigging delighted if I fell into the latter category!!

I'm saying £100,000 for an individual, bearing in mind:-

I said good, with the emphasis on good.

Also, you would be taxed heavily on that, so taking home nowhere near that figure.

Most GP's earn close to that, but they have to go to university for six years, probably racking up huge student debts.

Many top footballers earn that in a week, (but it is a short career to be fair)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.