What's your idea of a good salary?

Gelsons Dad said:
Too many variables to the definition "good".
I would define a good salary as one which allows a disciplined person to live a fulfilling life while remaining free of debt.

Exactly.

If you aspire to own a 250k semi, have 2 or 3 kids, own a new car & have a holiday abroad each year then earning 22k isn't going to be seen as a decent salary.

If you want a 90k 2 up 2 down, modest run around, no kids and like camping in bakewell then 22k will be seen as decent.

A decent salary is one that provides you with the lifestyle that you want.
Not what other people might perceive as a decent salary.

I earn 30k but for that I have to do a continental shift pattern. I have also spent 4 years at college and 4 years at uni. I am currently doing another 2 years at uni, studying for a Msc. It is fair to say I feel severely hard done by.

Nightmare Walking said:
I earn 30k but for that I have to do a continental shift pattern. I have also spent 4 years at college and 4 years at uni. I am currently doing another 2 years at uni, studying for a Msc. It is fair to say I feel severely hard done by.
Yes

Nightmare Walking said:
As you should. I earn enough to save money, the missus' income is a bonus, but then again I happily drive a 2001 volvo and don't spend that much.

aguero93:20 said:
Nightmare Walking said:
As you should. I earn enough to save money, the missus' income is a bonus, but then again I happily drive a 2001 volvo and don't spend that much.

You compare your wage to your friends and my 30000 is more than what my friends earn. It was not till I heard what my pals at uni were earning that I realised something was amiss.

I owe the company I work for 2 years after finishing my degree. The 4on/4off suits me at present as it gives me time to do my masters. But once my masters is complete then I will be looking to move.

Nightmare Walking said:
aguero93:20 said:
Nightmare Walking said:

You compare your wage to your friends and my 30000 is more than what my friends earn. It was not till I heard what my pals at uni were earning that I realised something was amiss.

I owe the company I work for 2 years after finishing my degree. The 4on/4off suits me at present as it gives me time to do my masters. But once my masters is complete then I will be looking to move.
If I could give anyone here any advice it would be to look after no 1,to move whenever it suited them, I'm either out of my current job in February or on a pay rise by agreement and I push for that, don't short change yourself, if you feel you're better suited by moving, then move.

I lost my job 4 months ago, we were earning well over £50k between us, now we are bringing in about £15k with my benefits and her part time salary and just about surviving. It shows you how you can live on what you earn as long as you can cover the bills and food.
I will be taking a much lower paid self-employed job in the next couple of weeks and we should be quids in with a total income of about £25k, but I will have much lower stress levels compared to my Exec position.
We have learned a huge amount about budgeting over the last few months and are a lot happier now I don't have all the hassle from demanding clients (and employers) 24/7.

I'd say good would be clearing £10k per month after tax, but it's entirely dependent on lifestyle etc.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.