When 1984 became fact

JASR

Reading a few random news stories whilst kept awake... leads to some thoughts...

ever since 1984 came out, people have said that various countries have become Orwellian states - east Germany, with its Stasi informers
Uk, with (at the time) the most CCTVs
And any number if dictatorships , North Korea, enumerable South American, African and Middle East countries.

1984 had 2-way televisions, you could be watched at all times, but you didn’t know if you were, so your behaviour was modelled in the belief that you were. Similar to a panopticon prison. Free thought was effectively restricted by proxy and fear that whatever you did was seen and recorded.

so, Orwell foretold the mass surveillance and censorship.
Everybody is now monitored:

your location:
Mobile phones, you’re placed within a few metres every few seconds (or less).
CCTVs proliferate, whether it be a govt, council, business or personal ones.

Your thoughts:
Internet usage, browsers, apps etc - all recording what you do.
AI assistants (Alexa etc) always listening and recording you.

Your free thoughts and thinking:
A walled garden of selective information (eg the great firewall of China).
A mass of disinformation (eg ‘fake news’, ‘echo chambers’, religion and other mindsets)

Your details:
Anything you put anywhere or anyhow on the internet or send via a device, is obtainable. Once obtainable (by public access or ‘hacking’), it can be collated...

The whole (connected) world, not just a state, is now in 1984.

maybe the quote from ‘the prisoner’ is what I’d like to be true - I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own! - but I know the hypocrisy of that thought , as I type on an Mobile...

or my own hypocrisy of watching films like ‘enemy of the state’ and ‘Snowden’ and inwardly going ‘that’s life now, really bad, how could it come to this’ ... and doing nothing.

/end

Last edited:
If it really was 1984, the police do a much better job of catching criminals.

The fact the vast majority get away with their crimes shows you that we’re not even close.

My brother refuses to have internet, computer or a mobile phone.
His hobbies are rambling with his club and art classes.
I'm assuming nobody knows where he is.

Inspired by my sleepless night, I started listening to the Eurythmics album 1984 (For the love of big brother).
Example tracks:

Fake news by another name Doubleplusgood

When you're being watched

When your 'naughty' you end up in ... Room 101

@BlueHammer85 This is an absolutely superb album :-)

My brother refuses to have internet, computer or a mobile phone.
His hobbies are rambling with his club and art classes.
I'm assuming nobody knows where he is.

really?
The authorities can trace him through NI number, bank accounts, electoral roll, DVLA, tv licence, utility service providers, etc., etc..

If it really was 1984, the police do a much better job of catching criminals.

The fact the vast majority get away with their crimes shows you that we’re not even close.

Clearly you've never read the book. Crime amongst the proles, who made up the majority of the population, was of no concern to the party, however order was rigorously imposed by the inner party on the outer party.

You'd be alright though, no thought crime with you, you'd make an excellent outer party member.

Clearly you've never read the book. Crime amongst the proles, who made up the majority of the population, was of no concern to the party, however order was rigorously imposed by the inner party on the outer party.

You'd be alright though, no thought crime with you, you'd make an excellent outer party member.

I haven’t read it, I see your point.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.