When and why did football become so tribal?

jaiguruKun

We've all heard stories of how in the old days people would go to Maine Road one week and the Swamp the next. Football seems to have had a much more sporting, gentlemanly feel back then. I now feel that the tribal aspect of football has overtaken all else about the game (social media has definitely contributed towards this) I was wondering what caused this change and when. When did the songs baiting other clubs start? Was it the hooligan mobs of the 70s and 80s or something else? When did we start properly hating Utd? Was there a particular event that made most fans of other clubs so hostile to each other and, if so, what?

Can only speak for myself as my dad would tell stories of like you say people going to watch both City and the rags. My old next door neighbour did.

One person Ferguson

He changed it for the worst. He belittled our club. Our club that in the past had helped the rags so many times. The twats didnt have floodlights so played at our place is just one example. Plus the noise neighbours, of course we are noisy we are Manchester a big City.

Now we have the press/media turning up the hatred because they are basically fanzines for the dippers and rags.
The bent use of VAR to help them.

The dippers getting away with the coach attack.

The older I get the more tribal I have become because of the way City seen in the press/media. I tell anyone who will listen the rags arent from Manchester. How the rags treated the survivors of Munich.

Manchester has one club and is ours. Our council should demand that the rags stop using our name ! Certainly shouldnt be using our coat of arms. What's wrong with Traffords ?

The world is tribal. I can't think of anywhere that there isn't a schism. Everyone is at each others throat.

It's the Internet, it has brought us all closer together and we're finding we all hate each other. The opposite pov is now in your face.

How many people on here read redcafe or rawk? Before the Internet that shit was kept to themselves.

The world is tribal. I can't think of anywhere that there isn't a schism. Everyone is at each others throat.

It's the Internet, it has brought us all closer together and we're finding we all hate each other. The opposite pov is now in your face.

How many people on here read redcafe or rawk? Before the Internet that shit was kept to themselves.

Good point social media can stir up alot of trouble and hate

City fans at Hyde Road used to throw stones at the opposition teams as they entered the pitch. It was said to be a very hostile place to go.

City and United were actually on friendly terms as clubs for a long time:
We agreed with United for our best players to go to them after they received bans from playing for City in 1906 so the people of Manchester could still enjoy seeing those players.
We got Ernest Magnull from United.
We agreed to block the vote to allow Manchester Central into the league in support of United.
We gave United our old kits when they were in financial trouble - the ‘Rags’.
We allowed them to use Maine Road when Old Trafford had been bombed in the war.
Lots of City fans watched United at Maine Road and gave them support especially behind our old player Busby, even into the 60s Mancunians would go and watch City at Maine Road one week and United at Old Trafford the next.

It was actually City and Bolton who were big rivals earlier in football. We played them in the FA Cup finals of 1904 and 1926. We won the 1904 final and then played them in a heated game in the FA Cup in 1905 which Bolton won. Bolton won the 1926 final. And with United not being much of a side from Magnull’s time until Busby’s time, City and Bolton were the region’s top clubs and rivals.

However, football has pretty much always been the same:

‘If you're talking about the modern game, then look no further than the 1880s and, in particular, Preston North End. In 1885, Preston's 5-0 friendly win over Aston Villa sent the supporters - who were described by press reports of the time as "howling roughs" - into a frenzy. The two teams were pelted with stones, attacked with sticks, punched, kicked and covered in spittle. One of the Preston players was beaten so severely that he lost consciousness.

The following year Preston fans notched up another first - fighting Queens Park fans in a railway station. Another milestone of sorts was reached in 1905 when several Preston supporters were tried for hooliganism, including a "drunk and disorderly" 70-year-old woman, following their match against Blackburn’.

Early football chants were said to be a continuation of an old folk tradition of blason populaire.

Tribalism associated with the region you come from and opposing yourself to other regions and belittling them, is an old folk tradition of Britain.

Last edited by a moderator:
It probably has been for ages, look back to the dark days of hooliganism in the 70s and 80s.

I think the issue now though as pointed out is social media. Every arsehole can vent their shit opinions for anyone to see, and they often wind people up. I’d extend that to the internet as a whole tbh, whereas 30 years ago if you didn’t buy papers you could largely ignore teams you hate, now every game is forensically examined on the bbc sport website, bt, Sky, wherever you go for your football news. And the rivalry line is promoted by all these media outlets; what does a win for X mean for Y, how do such a team beat City, comparisons, the list goes on. That in turn stirs up the dickheads who take offence if anything a player, team or set of fans does to upset them or their team.

It was so much easier to ignore all that shite and just watch and read about City many years ago.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.