When did you get into football/City?

Johnny Mars Bar

Team supported
St. Mark’s
Interested in hearing how old everyone was when they properly got into footy.

I was a late bloomer - was a teenager really when I properly got into it. My dad is a part time armchair red and his real passion is rugby, so I was never dragged to games by him.

My late uncle was a massive blue though - and I’ve told this story before - was a referee and when he retired worked for the FA as an assessor. He took me to Maine road as a kid in the 90s a number of times. I enjoyed it and was definitely a little blue but it wasn’t til I was about 15/16 really until I became obsessed.

I’m in my mid 30s btw.

Last edited:
A bit as a kid, then drifted away in my early teens, then right back into it as an adult.

My dad's a red too and raised me the right way i.e. to disagree with him and take the piss at every turn.

When I was about five or six my uncle said we're going to City and we never pay. Your going to go under the turnstiles with your brother. That was it, been hooked ever since. And yes I went to York away and Crewe, those bloody drums at Crewe.

From the first time my Dad took me to watch City August 1967 v the bin dippers, I was 6 years old

First game in October 1994 aged 3 (roofless new Kippax, beat Spurs 5-2) and went to far more over those early years than I can remember. Became obsessed after the Gillingham game though, up until then games were probably a bit of a blur to me.

3 years old 1969, old fella first took me to Maine rd, dads family all Ancoats blues mams all Collyhurst reds, was raised in Collyhurst but was always gonna be blue, football was always everything, playing, watching, the lot just to cement my love for the game the dutch side of 74 came along and my hero Cruyff who took the game to a whole new level for this scraggy arsed little manc!

I would have been about 5 or 6. Next season will be my 40th year as a blue. First game was a 0-0 draw against Birmingham. Third was 0-1 versus Luton........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.