When Gary Speed left Everton

KentBlue said:
Apparently there was some kind of controversy over his departure. I don't remember this so if anyone can shed some light on it I'd be grateful.

Wasn't Howard Kendall in charge at the time?

Kendall was a total pisshead at that time, which by all accounts Speed never liked. Kendall resigned from Everton at the end of the 97/98 season, Speed moved later that summer to Newcastle, but I guess his mind was already made up by the time Kendall went.

But afaik, he never spoke about exactly what went down at Everton. Dunno if he signed something (I know there's some quotes about him not wanting to damage the name of Everton etc) or what.

I am sorry but I can't find the article that I read this in today, but he left a club suddenly when asked to give the team talk at half time when the manager was unable to speak due to booze. He was unable to speak out about this due to the confidentialty clauses he had. This all seesm to tie in.

It was either in the Mail or Guardian online I think.

My best mate at work is a Toffee season ticket holder

Story
1) The officials needed the Everton team sheet as per the rules prior to the porstmouth game at goodison. The players had to find Kendall and it was Gary Speed who discivered him and Jim Smith in room pissed drinking whiskey and apparetly laughing and joking. Gary mentioned that the officials need the squad/team sheets. Kendall couldnt remember the full squad available and said to Speed your the captain you go and hand it in (basically pick the team)

2) There was an injury during a home match at goodison, Gary took a "water bottle" form the touchline and poured some over is head and then took a swig. This turned out to be Kendalls bottle and was basically pure vodka

Good old Kendall haha
Yes Gary was v proffesional and from what I have heard backs up the OPs post

They did indeed sing that about him but is now the time to bring it up ? Had he not tragically took his own life it would not be mentioned. Speed never spoke about his reason for leaving the club as he was a supporter himself. I mourn his loss as both an evertonian and a former player.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.