When strange coincidences occur

Last week, eight of us went on a lad's weekend to Germany to watch three matches on consecutive days.

A member of the forum who supports 1FC. Koln bought ten tickets for Koln v Augsburg on Saturday. Eight of the tickets were for us, one for him and one for his mate.
I don't want to name him as I haven't asked his permission, let's call him G, but he texted me around 13:00 last Saturday to warn me to get in the ground early doors because of security checks and queues. We knew best though so stayed in the pub until about 15:10 (kick off was 15:30). The queues were indeed huge and as the first two of us got to the front, my mate got in but my ticket didn't scan. I fought my way back through the crowd and went to a ticket office to get a replacement ticket. There was a customer being served and a bloke in front of me in the queue. I decided to check City's score on the BBC app, last I knew it was 1-1. As the page loaded, KDB had just made it 2-1. Due to me having had a few beers, I sort of shouted out "Yes!!! Fucking get in!"

The bloke in front of me turned around to see what the commotion was and I explained to him that I was English and my team had just scored back at home. On showing him my phone stating Newcastle United 1 Manchester City 2, he asked "Are you Kev?"

He was G's mate. In a crowd of 49,200 people, I found it truly staggering.

Years ago I went on a demonstration in London with the uni I was studying at. All the universities and colleges sent students and there was about 20000 - 30000 there that day. Anyway we're marching along en-masse when I realise I need to tie my shoelace so move over to the side of the road and lean against a lamppost putting my foot against a bin. I then hear my name being called out and look up to see my neighbour from home (a student at a different uni) who had climbed said lamppost, saying hello.

This is the demo, but I missed this bit to go shopping in Harrods.

The psychologist Jung had a word for these events - synchronicity. Events related in content and time, but not in causality (from the Greek for "same/together" and "time".

I just thought you'd like to know.

Was in Pittsburgh last week and a couple of days before I flew out, was looking at some photos. There was one from 2 years ago, when I was in Phoenix, in the City pub there with me, my son and a guy called John Murray who was originally from Irlam but had been out in Arizona for 30 years. The three exiled Mancs.

I'm on my flight from Manchester to Philadelphia a couple of days later and, to my amazement, saw John walking down the aisle towards me.

Here's another "synchronicity". Me and my missus are on a week's holiday in Corfu in a small resort, in a privately owned block of about ten apartments. We go out for a meal and get sat next to a bloke who was on holiday with his ex-wife (bit strange I know). As he's English I get talking to him and it turns out he's my (then) boss's mate from years earlier but they weren't in touch. He's also staying in the apartment above ours.

The coincidences in my life usually go as follows, coming home early from work hoping to get a jump from the wife, but finding the next door neighbour has had the exact same idea as me, whilst he was also at work. Crazy times eh.

In Cyprus a few years ago.
Missed the bus to one of the tourist spots so decided to nip in a nearby cafe for a coffee and wait.
A couple opposite we’re talking.
They were Scots and I recognised the accent as Ayrshire.
I asked them if they were from Ayrshire. They said they were and asked how I knew.
I said my dad was from Ayrshire a little town outside Kilmarnock called New Milns.
What a coincidence said the woman. So am I, I was raised there. Where did your dad live.
I told her the name of the estate.
She said her mum lived on that estate a few doors down from my dad.
We further corresponded and it turned out her mum’s first boyfriend had been my dad’s brother.

I took my gran back to Ireland to visit her birth place. We stayed in a local hotel and I got talking to a lady who worked there. I told her about my gran wanting to see her old house and told her where it was. The lady couldn't believe it, she was my grans next door neighbour when they were younger. They shared many a memory that night and gave me a massive feeling of satisfaction.

Got called up for jury duty. Got selected for the first case of the day, then picked out from the group as one of the 12 by the defence / prosecutor briefs. I knew by name and through work connections not one but two of the other selected jurors. The population of the Greater Toronto Area at the time was 5 million.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.