When was the time 3 city players were in the same england XI

Balti Pie

Just watching england and glad to see three of the of our boys playing but when, if ever, did we have 3 city players in the same team? Did bell, francis and royle play together?
Thanks

Three from five.

Watson, Bell, Doyle, Tueart, Royle sometime between 75 - 78. Make that six by adding in Big Joe Corrigan.

Or more recently ( at different Clubs) Robbie Fowler, David James, Danny Mills, Trevor Sinclair and Vassell.

i remember early seventies we had bell doyle marsh summerbee and lee, all played against wales and all on the pitch at the same time, think we won 5 one think lee got 2 bell got 1 correct me if i am wrong?

mancunial said:
i remember early seventies we had bell doyle marsh summerbee and lee, all played against wales and all on the pitch at the same time, think we won 5 one think lee got 2 bell got 1 correct me if i am wrong?
Bell Lee and Marsh England 1 Germany 3 72 however I think Marsh came on as a sub, it was about a week prior to his move to City from QPR if memory serves me right.
3 were picked for the England provisional 30, Oakes Lee and Bell, Oakes fell out and was replaced by Emlyn Hughes due to family reasons.
Summerbee Marsh and Bell Germany 0 England 0 72 though |Marsh replaced Summerbee
Summerbee Bell Marsh England Wales 0 73
Summerbee Bell Marsh England 0 N Ireland 1
Watson Royle and Tueart played in a team cant find the match, but remember Tueart and Royle were the scorers we were abysmal. We won 2-1
(Finland World Cup qualifier)

Doyle started playing for England late in life 76, on the American bi-centennial tour, Watson didn't go. Royle played against Italy we won 3-2 Corrigan replaced Rimmer and Tony Towers was on the pitch but was playing for Sunderland, He left in exchange for Horsfield and Tueart.

Doyle and Watson were often in the same squad, under Revie but never played together for England.

The record for a "Squad" was for Don Revies 1st get together was a stunning 9, however 50 players were picked, we had the biggest contingent of players

The players were Corrigan Doyle Watson Horsfield (Towers) Marsh Summerbee Bell Tueart, Lee went for get together, but had dropped off the radar after the loss against Germany at Euro 72. Also present were Channon still at Southampton, Francis was at Birmingham and Joe Royle still at Everton.

Presently we have Hart Richards Lescott Barry SWP Bridge, which is probably the largest amount of players as current Internationals

Instances of three City players appearing in same England game:

29/09/1934, Cardiff: WALES 0-4 ENGLAND; Jackie Bray, Sam Tilson, Eric Brook. [Tilson scored two, Brook one]
19/10/1935, Belfast: NORTHERN IRELAND 1-3 ENGLAND; Jackie Bray, Sam Tilson, Eric Brook. [Again Tilson scored two, Brook one]
29/04/1972, London: ENGLAND 1-3 WEST GERMANY; Colin Bell, Francis Lee, Rodney Marsh (60th min sub). [Lee scored]
13/05/1972, West Berlin: WEST GERMANY 0-0 ENGLAND; Colin Bell, Rodney Marsh, Mike Summerbee (72nd min sub for Marsh).
20/05/1972, Cardiff: WALES 0-3 ENGLAND; Colin Bell, Rodney Marsh, Mike Summerbee. [Bell and Marsh scored]
23/05/1972, London: ENGLAND 0-1 NORTHERN IRELAND; Colin Bell, Rodney Marsh, Mike Summerbee.
28/05/1976, New York: ENGLAND 3-2 ITALY; Mike Doyle, Joe Royle, Joe Corrigan (46th min sub).
19/04/1978, London: ENGLAND 1-1 BRAZIL; Joe Corrigan, Dave Watson, Peter Barnes.
12/08/2009, Amsterdam: NETHERLANDS 2-2 ENGLAND; Gareth Barry, Shaun Wright-Phillips (46th min sub), Wayne Bridge (84th min sub).
05/09/2009, London: ENGLAND 2-1 SLOVENIA; Gareth Barry, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Joleon Lescott (64th min sub). [Bridge unused sub]
14/10/2009, London: ENGLAND 3-0 BELARUS; Wayne Bridge, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Gareth Barry. [Wright-Phillips scored]

neil jung said:
19/04/1978, London: ENGLAND 1-1 BRAZIL; Joe Corrigan, Dave Watson, Peter Barnes.
12/08/2009, Amsterdam: NETHERLANDS 2-2 ENGLAND; Gareth Barry, Shaun Wright-Phillips (46th min sub), Wayne Bridge (84th min sub).

That gap in dates sums up the club in the 30 odd years.

Just widening the thread slightly, what was the gap between any City appearances for England ?

The other interesting point is that its now quite an achievement to have 3 on the pitch at the same time, because most squads are at least 50% foreign, and who knows in the next 12 months we could well have more than 3.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.