When were City replica shirts introduced and when did people

isab23502

... start wearing them to matches in any numbers?

I think I got my first in 1978 (quality diamonds jobby in Umbro orange presentation box from Jackie Bray's sports shop in Nelson, Lancs) and my next from Middleton Arndale - but when were they first on sale?

And back in those days - did you get lots of fakes for sale on the markets, on the basis the kit was .. pretty basic?

Got my first in 1975. Umbro diamonds down the sleeves and spiky white collar. Loved it. Bit too small now though as I was only 14.

No diamonds on the sleeve in 1975. My moment of name dropping fame, waited 35 years for this. Dave Watson got me my first one for Xmas 1976. Sky Blue shirt, sky blue shorts- umbro box-the choice of champions

bluekev1969 said:
No diamonds on the sleeve in 1975. My moment of name dropping fame, waited 35 years for this. Dave Watson got me my first one for Xmas 1976. Sky Blue shirt, sky blue shorts- umbro box-the choice of champions

Had we switched to blue shorts 76/77? Think we had hadn't we?

oakiecokie said:
Got my original red and black striped one in 1969,but not saying that was the first shirt on offer.
Same as me got the full kit for Christmas i was 10 years old.

It depends what you mean by "City replica shirt". Ones that were similar to our shirts, ie blue shirt with white collar and cuffs or red and black stripes were available early on.

For replicas with badges etc, I think it was the ones previously mentioned with the diamonds down the sides that were the first. In that horrible nylon material. Ironed on transfers too, none of your embroidered stuff like you get now.

I also distinctly remember a friend of mine having a blue European shirt with red and white sash, before that, but without badges or numbers. Might even have been made by Bukta and not Umbro I'm not sure.

Franny Lee's Barrel Chest said:
It depends what you mean by "City replica shirt". Ones that were similar to our shirts, ie blue shirt with white collar and cuffs or red and black stripes were available early on.

For replicas with badges etc, I think it was the ones previously mentioned with the diamonds down the sides that were the first. In that horrible nylon material. Ironed on transfers too, none of your embroidered stuff like you get now.

I also distinctly remember a friend of mine having a blue European shirt with red and white sash, before that, but without badges or numbers. Might even have been made by Bukta and not Umbro I'm not sure.
i had that one!my first city shirt!!

As a 5 year old, I got a proper Umbro home shirt for Christmas 1972. Round-neck shirt. I then saved up and after my birthday in 1973 (I think) bought the white shirt with red/blue sashes. This however, was not Umbro but was a rip-off Admiral shirt. I next heard of Admiral in 1975 or so when they got the United contract.

I got the white with red/blue diagonal away in 72/73? It cost nine quid........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.