Where’s the money gone?

Considering the mess we appear to be in now that graph is quite interesting, the 2 big spikes in the 20th century are obviously the world wars, and their end and rebuild, but what caused the 1820(ish) peak, which dwarfs the current mess.
Wars of the Austrian and Spanish Successions, the Seven Years' War, and the Napoleonic Wars.

‘War equal debt” is the big takeaway!!!

Is it really that bad at the minute? My life hasn’t changed for the worst in recent years, can’t say I’ve noticed a change with any of our public services too. The only thing that slightly does effect me is the exchange rate when I’m travelling. Still not that arsed about that.

I have been meaning to post this for a while.

Where has all the money gone? We pay our taxes and VAT went up ‘temporarily’ a few years ago to 20%. So where has all the money gone. Just about every public service is short of money. Councils will get nothing from the government next year, our local police force have been asked to make major savings of £20m, the local NHS cannot afford the staff with A & E departments closing in some of our towns and a reduction in child services which entail some parents having to travel to Lincoln some 30+ miles away. We now pay for some refuse collections, old people’s services have been cut, mental health issues are not being addressed, homelessness has risen astronomically etc, etc, etc.

So where has all the money gone? We were able to pay for everything before so why can’t we pay for it now?

VAT went up .... and then by slieght of hand Corporation tax was reduced by 2% (and its due to be reduced by a further 2% in 2020 - IIRC)... Torys eh . What are they like?

VAT went up .... and then by slieght of hand Corporation tax was reduced by 2% (and its due to be reduced by a further 2% in 2020 - IIRC)... Torys eh . What are they like?

Actually, UK Corporation tax receipts have been rising strongly (by around 10% p.a.) over the past 5 years and are now at around £54.6 billion annually, up from £36.7 billion in 2013/14.

Is it really that bad at the minute? My life hasn’t changed for the worst in recent years, can’t say I’ve noticed a change with any of our public services too. The only thing that slightly does effect me is the exchange rate when I’m travelling. Still not that arsed about that.
It probably doesn't affect you because you're not old, ill or dependent on a public service at the moment.

It probably doesn't affect you because you're not old, ill or dependent on a public service at the moment.

This and the fact that you have to factor in the investment v's national debt trajectory.

If we are running our services into the ground then at least i would hope we are doing it to reduce our national debt (which is the ultimate burden we will pass to our kids).

Or if we are borrowing huge amounts then i would hope we are investing in our infastructure / buidling assets (roards / rail / hospitals / schools) for the next generation.

Right now - debt still going up - the bare minimum being spent on infastrucre where it is being run down quite alarmingly.

Bottom line = incompetent politicians.

Maybe an idea would be to actually gather the taxes due. An estimated £220b is evaded. There are more people working to catch benefits cheats, £1.4b estimated, than the tax dodgers. I think there’s two guys and a women, all ex public school, on the case.

You don’t need to be a political scientist to guess the reason for that.
It’s not about raising taxes, it’s about making sure rich cunts and corporations pay what is already due.

This and the fact that you have to factor in the investment v's national debt trajectory.

If we are running our services into the ground then at least i would hope we are doing it to reduce our national debt (which is the ultimate burden we will pass to our kids).

Or if we are borrowing huge amounts then i would hope we are investing in our infastructure / buidling assets (roards / rail / hospitals / schools) for the next generation.

Right now - debt still going up - the bare minimum being spent on infastrucre where it is being run down quite alarmingly.

Bottom line = incompetent politicians.
I sometimes think that the best way forward is 5 years of Labour to spend on the services and infrastruction but not long enough to bust the country and then 5 years of the Tories to reel some of money back in but not long enough to ruin the services and infrastructure completely.

One of the things that gets me is that the NHS is short of somewhere in the region of 20-30,000 nurses and doctors. If the NHS is short of money where is all the money for their wages going?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.