Where are they now 2020 edition

His Dad posts on here I think. He started appearing again for the U18’s towards the end of the season and will presumably will be with the EDS this coming season.

A few that the OP missed -

Ed Francis - captains the Wolves U23 team but not sure he’s quite good enough to make it there

Tom Dele-Bashiru - at Watford, didn’t make any PL appearances but hopefully will get chances in the Championship.

Fisayo Dele-Bashiru - just joined Sheffield Wednesday on a permanent deal

Taylor Richards - joined Brighton last summer, made a couple of cup appearances I think

Jack Byrne - after being bombed out of several clubs ended back up in Ireland playing for Shamrock Rovers. Made his international debut too and is apparently the best player in the league, so will presumably end up back in England at some stage.

Brandon Barker - has been underwhelming for Rangers.

Felix Nmecha - had a serious knee injury but is fit again now and has been training with the first team. Really needs a loan this season.

Will Patching - released by Notts County and now in Ireland playing for Dundalk

Thanks for adding these. A lot of players bouncing about.

Ignoring Diaz I think Tosin is the best prospect of all those listed - he needs to make the right decision this summer in terms of where he goes next. Matt Smith and Jack Bryne the most disappointing in terms of how good they looked at one point v's how its gone recently. I was never a massive Brandon Barker fan but he is another who has not kicked on anywhere near like some thought.

Thanks for adding these. A lot of players bouncing about.

Ignoring Diaz I think Tosin is the best prospect of all those listed - he needs to make the right decision this summer in terms of where he goes next. Matt Smith and Jack Bryne the most disappointing in terms of how good they looked at one point v's how its gone recently. I was never a massive Brandon Barker fan but he is another who has not kicked on anywhere near like some thought.
I'd add Davenport to Smith & Byrne as ones that I'd thought would be very good, although time is still on their side. We really do need a 'B' team setup in England.

I'd add Davenport to Smith & Byrne as ones that I'd thought would be very good, although time is still on their side. We really do need a 'B' team setup in England.

This is the problem with British youth football. The abyss between u23 football and in our case playing for silverware winning teams

Agree. As a club we pretty much ignore the PL2 which is under 23s. We focus on the U18s and from there on we look to loan them all out. The only 20/21/22 year olds that train with us are in the first team or didn't go on loan for some reason.

Agree. As a club we pretty much ignore the PL2 which is under 23s. We focus on the U18s and from there on we look to loan them all out. The only 20/21/22 year olds that train with us are in the first team or didn't go on loan for some reason.

We have to bring back reserve team football if possible. Somewhere for injured 1st team squad players to recover fitness and for talented young player to experience the physicality of playing against Premier League players.

We have to bring back reserve team football if possible. Somewhere for injured 1st team squad players to recover fitness and for talented young player to experience the physicality of playing against Premier League players.

I think that having partnerships between PL clubs and tier 3 and 4 clubs with unlimited loans might be an answer. I used to watch City reserves back in the day and it was pretty turgid stuff. No better than a conference game. Something about the mix of old knackered pros and young kids all with different levels of enthusiasm for the game and no crowd just didn't work. There is a higher standard in league 1 and 2.

I think that having partnerships between PL clubs and tier 3 and 4 clubs with unlimited loans might be an answer. I used to watch City reserves back in the day and it was pretty turgid stuff. No better than a conference game. Something about the mix of old knackered pros and young kids all with different levels of enthusiasm for the game and no crowd just didn't work. There is a higher standard in league 1 and 2.

The point I am making is that IMO its the physicality and nouse that is lacking. the present youth system is a non contact sport.

They need to allow 'B' teams in tier 3 or 4 with a LOT more of the wealth of the PL to flow downwards as incentive. In fact more of the wealth needs to flow downwards regardless, but that's for a different thread.

They need to allow 'B' teams in tier 3 or 4 with a LOT more of the wealth of the PL to flow downwards as incentive. In fact more of the wealth needs to flow downwards regardless, but that's for a different thread.

Agree but clubs right down into the conference leagues have aspirations of rising up the league and think of themselves as 'league clubs'. They don't want to give up their league positions and want to get bigger as opposed to smaller. I've said this a few times - we have too many professional clubs but you cant stop them. If they want to sign up a full squad of Pros and try and cover that cost every year then that is what they will do. If fans want to pay £15 a ticket to watch tier 5 or 6 football then who is to stop them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.