Where do you rank Hughes amongst City's past coaches?

Why Is It I browse this forum I see yet again another Thread started by SkyblueKings regarding our manager? seriously give it a rest!

bizzbo said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Ignoring Pearce here are the league stats for the last three managers, KK, SGE & MH. For KK, they only include the Premiership. Taken from mcfcstats.co.uk

KK P105 W33 D29 L43 F136 A140 Win% 31.43 Pts per game 1.22 Goals per game 1.30
SGE P38 W15 D10 L13 F45 A53 Win% 39.47 Pts per game 1.45 Goals per game 1.18
MH P49 W21 D13 L19 F87 A71 Win% 42.86 Pts per game 1.55 Goals per game 1.78

So on all three measures Hughes is the best of the recent era.
did you really just say that it took 250m to get that extra 0.1 pt per game over sven?

no, omg, now you say he's got LESS points per game than sven. hells bells, I thought you were on his side!
I forgot when I posted initially that mcfcstats hasn't been updated since Steve Kay died so had to add the extra 4 games. I'm not on anybody's side - I'm just a City fan that wants my team to do well. These are the stats.

If you want a subjective judgement then I'd place Book just behind Mercer & Allison, Allison's first spell in third then Hughes, just based on performances in the top flight. following him then Reid, who got us good results but I didn't like the football played.

Under Hughes, when we've been good I've seen some of the best football for the last thirty years.

Pigeonho said:
skybluekings said:
I think even the Hughes Outers will agree with your last sentence.

Sadly though, they won't and that is why the comment someone made earlier on this thread, 'Hughes has managed to split the fans', is complete horse bollocks. All that has happened in terms of the divided opinion is that a whole hoard of 'fans' who hate anything ex-rag have created this dillusional culture of 'Hughes out', and 10 PL titled will never change them.
This is what I don't get, is it so hard to understand that there are a large group of City fans that go week in week out that don't see improvement and don't rate Hughes as a manager. Are you too blind to see past the "it's just because he's a rag" The bottomline is that I respect your opinion that you think Hughes is moving the club forward, but in return I would ask that you respect ours, when we think that he isn't, it doesn't make either side any more or less blue it simply is what it is.

DontLookBackInAnger said:
Pigeonho said:
Sadly though, they won't and that is why the comment someone made earlier on this thread, 'Hughes has managed to split the fans', is complete horse bollocks. All that has happened in terms of the divided opinion is that a whole hoard of 'fans' who hate anything ex-rag have created this dillusional culture of 'Hughes out', and 10 PL titled will never change them.
This is what I don't get, is it so hard to understand that there are a large group of City fans that go week in week out that don't see improvement and don't rate Hughes as a manager. I you too blind to see past the "it's just because he's a rag" The bottomline is that I respect your opinion that you think Hughes is moving the club forward, but in return I would ask that you respect ours, when we think that he isn't, it doesn't make either side any more or less blue it simply is what it is.

A good comment well made, and when its put like that, I do respect an opinion. Thing is though there is actually a statistic now, our semi final berth, which kind of blows the 'when we think he isn't', out of the water.

Barntonblue said:
Why Is It I browse this forum I see yet again another Thread started by SkyblueKings regarding our manager? seriously give it a rest!

And I guess you just HAVE to read it then? What did I do this time?

See any 'Hughes Out' comments from anyone here? NO.

For once we're having a cordial discussion about where does Hughes rank amongst City coaches.

You're the one looking to start the crap slinging again.

Seems like anytime you voice different opinions about anything to do with Hughes, you're supposedly "starting shit" or "splitting the fans" etc.

I think its YOU who should give it a rest.

FFs there are some right nobs on here harking back to Sven yeah great second half of his reign was relegation form ending in 7-1 defeat. Kevin keegan great start loved the championship season but then bought shite Pearce again started well( 1penalty from europe ) but bought shite. Now people are having a go at Hughes for spending 2000 million and complaining we aint higher then sixth those teams up there have been spending big money for years it doesn't happen overnight. Calling hughes shit when he buys Tevez and Robinho I never thought in my life i would see those sort of players at city nowadays days. Stop fucking whinging get a fucking life and enjoy it.

Managers who stayed for 40 competitive games or more from Bond on.

John Bond rapidly organized a fading team with a few astute but not expensive signings. Cup final appearance to boot. 41% win rate.

Bill McNeill pretty disastrous, relegated us and Villa same season. 40%

Mel Machin responsible for the humbling of United so always remembered fondly but subsequent career suggests not Hughes equal 42%

Peter Reid Vilified for style but league postions suggests he is the best we have had. Not successful anywhere since. 43%

Brian Horton played better football than Reid but win rate of only 30%

Alan Ball 26% and relegation. Nuff said.

Frank Clark Took over after 4 managers in a season. Stablized ship but left City in poor position in old 2nd div. 33%

Joe Royle took us down, up, up and down 43% but mostly in lower divisions.

KK great football at times and 44% rate. Wasted a lot of dosh.

SP very little money started well, finished badly 35%.

SGE again started well and fell away with a difficult owner hovering axe in hand 42%

Mark Hughes highest strike rate of 45% but the money does have to be factored in.

In terms of world achievement Sven is the best. A younger, hungrier Sven may have been the best for us.

In terms of achievement for City Peter Reid despite the football.

Hughes still has a way to go.

Pigeonho said:
skybluekings said:
well its almost 1.5 seasons already, isn't that enough time to make an analysis?

No its not, not with HIS squad it isn't. This is his squad which he has assembled with 1 real transfer window, which was when he really got stuck into the Sheikh's cash in the summer. The winter window last year was to build in preparation for the summers window, and then for this season. We are half of a season into Hughes full squad of players, and so far he has us 6th and into a semi final. A pretty good return......so far. The time to really judge though is May 10'.

How many past City managers have had THEIR squads ? It's a poor argument as hardly any football manager out there has the chance start from fresh and buy players in every position.

bizzbo said:
is it just me who thinks that celebrating a carling cup semi-final as a historic moment is a bit, um, 'small club'

i'm chuffed, don't get me wrong, it's going to be great, but, still......
Possibly. What's not to get excited about? We haven't been this far in a competition for as long as I can remember (was only 2 in 1981). Was you pretty happy with a the UEFA quarter final last year?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.