Where do you rank Hughes amongst City's past coaches?

bizzbo said:
is it just me who thinks that celebrating a carling cup semi-final as a historic moment is a bit, um, 'small club'

i'm chuffed, don't get me wrong, it's going to be great, but, still......

This is surely a joke, right? When we bea Arsenal that night did you cheer like never before? I know I fucking did, as I was witnessing my club do something it hasn't done in my life-time before.

But some of us think he IS moving the club forward. Maybe not as quickly as some would like but we should finish with far more points and in a higher position than we did last season and the season before that. If we don't then no one can complain if we sack him.

Anyone who can't se we are making progress needs to get their eyes tested. If you want to argue that progress should be faster, I wouldn't agree but I would accept it as a valid opinion. But to say we aren't getting better is frankly ludicrous. The run of draws is frustrating but as I've proved in another thread, teams that have finished in the top 4 in the last two or three seasons have all had similar runs at some point.

We all agree that we need to put a good run of wins together now but I suspect that even if we do the doubters will still find something to criticise.

robbieh said:
Managers who stayed for 40 competitive games or more from Bond on.

John Bond rapidly organized a fading team with a few astute but not expensive signings. Cup final appearance to boot. 41% win rate.

Bill McNeill pretty disastrous, relegated us and Villa same season. 40%

Mel Machin responsible for the humbling of United so always remembered fondly but subsequent career suggests not Hughes equal 42%

Peter Reid Vilified for style but league postions suggests he is the best we have had. Not successful anywhere since. 43%

Brian Horton played better football than Reid but win rate of only 30%

Alan Ball 26% and relegation. Nuff said.

Frank Clark Took over after 4 managers in a season. Stablized ship but left City in poor position in old 2nd div. 33%

Joe Royle took us down, up, up and down 43% but mostly in lower divisions.

KK great football at times and 44% rate. Wasted a lot of dosh.

SP very little money started well, finished badly 35%.

SGE again started well and fell away with a difficult owner hovering axe in hand 42%

Mark Hughes highest strike rate of 45% but the money does have to be factored in.

In terms of world achievement Sven is the best. A younger, hungrier Sven may have been the best for us.

In terms of achievement for City Peter Reid despite the football.

Hughes still has a way to go.

Great analysis, thanks for that :)

BurnCK said:
Pigeonho said:
No its not, not with HIS squad it isn't. This is his squad which he has assembled with 1 real transfer window, which was when he really got stuck into the Sheikh's cash in the summer. The winter window last year was to build in preparation for the summers window, and then for this season. We are half of a season into Hughes full squad of players, and so far he has us 6th and into a semi final. A pretty good return......so far. The time to really judge though is May 10'.

How many past City managers have had THEIR squads ? It's a poor argument as hardly any football manager out there has the chance start from fresh and buy players in every position.
Except here and now. So I'd like to see how he fares.

Prestwich_Blue said:
But some of us think he IS moving the club forward. Maybe not as quickly as some would like but we should finish with far more points and in a higher position than we did last season and the season before that. If we don't then no one can complain if we sack him.

Anyone who can't se we are making progress needs to get their eyes tested. If you want to argue that progress should be faster, I wouldn't agree but I would accept it as a valid opinion. But to say we aren't getting better is frankly ludicrous. The run of draws is frustrating but as I've proved in another thread, teams that have finished in the top 4 in the last two or three seasons have all had similar runs at some point.

We all agree that we need to put a good run of wins together now but I suspect that even if we do the doubters will still find something to criticise.

I certainly think we're making progress. And on this seasons results alone, we're not too far from the progress I would have expected. Last year for me was a disaster, and probably cost us a year in terms of our development. But this year, while it's been frustrating at times hasn't been that bad.

bizzbo said:
is it just me who thinks that celebrating a carling cup semi-final as a historic moment is a bit, um, 'small club'

i'm chuffed, don't get me wrong, it's going to be great, but, still......
Sums up the attitude of the die-hard Hughes out brigade perfectly. When we get something we've all been hoping for and demanding, it's "a bit, um. 'small club'."

Joycee Banercheck said:
BurnCK said:
How many past City managers have had THEIR squads ? It's a poor argument as hardly any football manager out there has the chance start from fresh and buy players in every position.
Except here and now. So I'd like to see how he fares.

But does that make him a good manager ? Im sure there a sh*t load of managers out there that would do even better with £200mil and a clean slate.

Prestwich_Blue said:

Course they will. I am mates with a blue who openly admits to not liking/wanting Hughes purely based on his united connections. When I try to correct him on this and show him where we are etc, he just says he's not arsed if we win the league with him in charge, as as long as he has connections to united, he has no time for him. There was no argueing with him or getting him to see how stupid of a comment that is, as that is what he feels and the feeling I get off here is that there are many more out there who think like my mate does, which is pretty poor and very unknowledgable really.

skybluekings said:
robbieh said:
Managers who stayed for 40 competitive games or more from Bond on.

John Bond rapidly organized a fading team with a few astute but not expensive signings. Cup final appearance to boot. 41% win rate.

Bill McNeill pretty disastrous, relegated us and Villa same season. 40%

Mel Machin responsible for the humbling of United so always remembered fondly but subsequent career suggests not Hughes equal 42%

Peter Reid Vilified for style but league postions suggests he is the best we have had. Not successful anywhere since. 43%

Brian Horton played better football than Reid but win rate of only 30%

Alan Ball 26% and relegation. Nuff said.

Frank Clark Took over after 4 managers in a season. Stablized ship but left City in poor position in old 2nd div. 33%

Joe Royle took us down, up, up and down 43% but mostly in lower divisions.

KK great football at times and 44% rate. Wasted a lot of dosh.

SP very little money started well, finished badly 35%.

SGE again started well and fell away with a difficult owner hovering axe in hand 42%

Mark Hughes highest strike rate of 45% but the money does have to be factored in.

In terms of world achievement Sven is the best. A younger, hungrier Sven may have been the best for us.

In terms of achievement for City Peter Reid despite the football.

Hughes still has a way to go.

Great analysis, thanks for that :)
Not great analysis actually as it includes stats for lower leagues. You need to take those out and compare like-with-like.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.