Where is the single most beautiful place you have been?

Loved going there with a lass on a nice day! Stroll around the park itself, row around the lake a bit, then who knew….

Liked it less on Cross Country Sports Days, when we used to head out of the gate towards the bottom of the Ashton Grammar playing fields, along Darnton Road, around one side of the Lake, out around the waste ground fields beyond the hospital, towards Ashton Barracks and the Lacrosse Club, then back!

I was always a big lad sprinter, but as a House Captain (Stamford) at AG, I didn’t have a choice but to run.

Always ended up the same way…me bent over double about 10 yards past the finish line TRYING not to embarrass myself by hurling!! Rarely succeeded!!

But…good memories all, even though we seemed to spend half our life back then hating school!!

:-
I had the dubious honour of finishing LAST in my first ever cross country over that course in my first year. I'd never done cross country before, and never again until the upper sixth form! Also wore the (famous) green of Stamford house.
It used to be known as the "Lakes" course, round Chadwick Dam.

Maui, I had always wanted to have breakfast under the palm trees next to the ocean. Maui has everything from dry arid volcanoes to rainforest. Snorkeling in the Pacific, stunning marine life.

On Darnton Rd in Stalybridge there's a large lake with an island known as Stamford Park boating lake. It is adjacent to the Park.
I grew up next to it. I used to swim and fish in it....Why would you argue about that ? I don't understand.
I know some people on here like to argue and prove others wrong but why would you deny a place exists ?

View attachment 34507
The boathouse had motor boats and rowing boats which you could hire and there was a large boat which used to take about 50 people on a round trip of the lake. (Stamford Belle?) The operator used to try and keep order amongst other lake users! ( boats going in the wrong direction, swimming etc.) A bit of a thankless task.
I think there is a fleet of pedalos these days.

The boathouse had motor boats and rowing boats which you could hire and there was a large boat which used to take about 50 people on a round trip of the lake. (Stamford Belle?) The operator used to try and keep order amongst other lake users! ( boats going in the wrong direction, swimming etc.) A bit of a thankless task.
I think there is a fleet of pedalos these days.
That Belle was affectionately known as the Steamer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.