Which of our Youngsters will make it with us?

I've noticed Coquelin (23) and Bellerin (20) doing really well for Arsenal and having breakthrough years after recently spending time in the Championship. I don't think we should be in a rush to put the 17/18/19 year olds in unless they are what you would call wonderkids who are taking the piss out of their age group. 20-22 is a common age all over the continent for great young prospects to get their chance.

The argument is it's great experience for a youngster in the first team, but can it not also be a negative experience if something goes wrong (see: Boyata). And how has Pozo's first team experience benefited him in the EDS? He looked like a lost soul in our team, playing in a less than ideal position, and doesn't seem to have sparkled since for the 21s.

IMO City should not cave in to fan or media pressure and only promote these boys when they are physically and mentally prepared, with Lopes (20 in December) and Denayer (20 in June) the closest. All of the other 20+ year olds like Evans, Plummer, Drury and Hiwula probably have no chance especially as Huws was doing much better than them but got sold anyway.

LoveCity said:
I've noticed Coquelin (23) and Bellerin (20) doing really well for Arsenal and having breakthrough years after recently spending time in the Championship. I don't think we should be in a rush to put the 17/18/19 year olds in unless they are what you would call wonderkids who are taking the piss out of their age group. 20-22 is a common age all over the continent for great young prospects to get their chance.

The argument is it's great experience for a youngster in the first team, but can it not also be a negative experience if something goes wrong (see: Boyata). And how has Pozo's first team experience benefited him in the EDS? He looked like a lost soul in our team, playing in a less than ideal position, and doesn't seem to have sparkled since for the 21s.

IMO City should not cave in to fan or media pressure and only promote these boys when they are physically and mentally prepared, with Lopes (20 in December) and Denayer (20 in June) the closest. All of the other 20+ year olds like Evans, Plummer, Drury and Hiwula probably have no chance especially as Huws was doing much better than them but got sold anyway.

I've said it for the last 3-4 years on here but the days of an 18/19 year old breaking into the first team and staying are over unless you are an exceptional talent like Messi or Rooney at their ages.

The age now to break through is 22-24. That's why our some of our top 19 year olds are now signing 3 year contract extensions as there still a lot of time to develop and at 22 we will have a better idea of if they will make it or not.

In the meantime though i don't see any harm in them being given 20 mins even if it's just once, rather see a Brandon Barker than a Scott Sinclair for the final 10 minutes.

WNRH said:
LoveCity said:

I've said it for the last 3-4 years on here but the days of an 18/19 year old breaking into the first team and staying are over unless you are an exceptional talent like Messi or Rooney at their ages.

The age now to break through is 22-24. That's why our some of our top 19 year olds are now signing 3 year contract extensions as there still a lot of time to develop and at 22 we will have a better idea of if they will make it or not.

In the meantime though i don't see any harm in them being given 20 mins even if it's just once, rather see a Brandon Barker than a Scott Sinclair for the final 10 minutes.

I would say that we have several who are exceptional talents for their ages. Putting Rooney & Messi together in the same bracket is rather misleading, unless you also include Micah Richards, as it was Rooney's build & physical strength which allowed him to break through earlier, like Richards, rather than the sheer skill which was the reason for Messi's early promotion.

None of these City kids have to break into the team next season & 'stay there'. They can be introduced to the Premier League gradually, here & there, & learn to adapt, which is exactly what players like Barker, Ambrose & Angelino have been doing at EDS level this season, after being promoted from the U18s. At first they weren't the same players, as in the 18s, they got used to it.

If both had already played a few cameo roles in games, they would by now have got rid of some of the nerves & started to understand what they can or can't get away with compared to the EDS, & be more likely to make an early impact given a chance next season. City would potentially have a much stronger squad with these lads involved & the sooner they learn to cope, the sooner we can stop watching often inferior senior players, underperforming, wearing their shirts. We have wasted an opportunity & got dumped out of two cups anyway, by half arsed, uninspired, experienced players, letting us down.

The reason more kids don't get places in the Premier League, is because the quality hasn't been there for years, & if it is there, like now, managers are protecting their own arses first and foremost. We see players like Jones, Smalling & Wellbeck in the England team. There has been a real dearth of talent.

LoveCity said:

This. Look at Kane and Mason a Tottenham, and then at Januzaj or Macheda.

Probables - Gunn,Denayer and Maffeo

Possibles - Lopes,Barker,Angelino,Ambrose,Tosin,Boadu,Garcia,Bryan,Ntcham.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.