Who and what’s to blame?

Last year we did amazing, liverpool won 15 points through penalties our coefficient was minus 3 despite us having the ball in the penalty ares more than any other team, off sides are harder to gauge but liverpools last goal that led to their win was offside despite being in front of the lines man, we did brilliantly and put a flea in the ear of the FA,
This year the FA brought in VAR but unfortunately the watch dog was owned by the thief, we were always going to struggle with the FA but injuries as i have said before,` every game 4 first team players out` depending on who you believe is a first team player` we have done absolutely brilliant considering the problems

We create more chances and score more goals than Liverpool while conceding fewer shots. Ederson has had an underwhelming season too. The percentage of saved shots isn't good.

We have been a bit more wasteful in front of goal this season and conceded more goals than we should have, similarly to 16/17. Shit happens.

Imagine Liverpool without VVD for 6 months. People would analyse what had gone wrong for them despite the answer being pretty obvious. Pep had to use our 4th and 5th choice CBs from last season, namely Otamendi and Fernandinho, since Vinny retired, Laporte was badly injured and Stones injured or out of form for long periods. If Liverpool had to play with Lovren and Fabinho (?) at CB in most games, they would be probably even worse than us. One can reckon with injuries but one can't deal with all bad luck in advance. No amount of planning from Klopp would help his team win the title without VVD and injuries to other defenders or players of Sane's quality.
I worry about the age of some of our team, and with Silva and Sane on their way out we will definitely need to recruit.

I worry about the age of some of our team, and with Silva and Sane on their way out we will definitely need to recruit.
We could field a team of players no older than 26 and still be an incredibly strong side. Add in De Bruyne, Mahrez, and Walker, and we're probably not in a bad position.

This thread reminds me of the George Best story where he's lying in bed with wads of money surrounding him and the Miss World he was currently shagging and the guy delivering room service looks and asks where did it all go wrong...

This thread reminds me of the George Best story where he's lying in bed with wads of money surrounding him and the Miss World he was currently shagging and the guy delivering room service looks and asks where did it all go wrong...
Haha yeah, it's obvious things haven't worked out as planned and there's a discussion to be had but if you'd woken up from a long coma and first read this thread you'd have thought we'd finished 8th and been knocked out of all the cups by now.

One word; confidence.

From the first game of the season when we got f*cked over by VAR against Spud's the players clearly knew this season was going to be an uphill battle.

When you go into certain games in the understanding that despite your best efforts you just know it might not be enough, then I've no doubt it affected their game.

One word; confidence.

From the first game of the season when we got f*cked over by VAR against Spud's the players clearly knew this season was going to be an uphill battle.

When you go into certain games in the understanding that despite your best efforts you just know it might not be enough, then I've no doubt it affected their game.
Totally agree with what your saying. That game against spuds set a precedent for the whole season. I was absolutely gutted jesus goal was scrubbed off for tantamount of nothing and deep down thought if this is how VAR was going to operate for us what’s the point of cheering a goal only to be laughed at by other fans in the bar after it’s been wrongly scrubbed off.

We haven't been anywhere near consistent enough; absolutely scintillating in some games but very pedestrian in others and, as Thursday showed, sometimes both in the same game. I think it has proved impossible to maintain the standard of '17-'18 and '18-'19 for a third successive season. Vinnie's departure was a real blow, made worse by the fact that there was no-one even remotely capable of replacing him - the touted Maguire is so far off Vinnie as a player, a leader and an influence as to be laughable. Then losing Sane 15 minutes into the community shield and then Laporte so early really meant we were struggling. These are all underlying factors which help to explain to some extent the falling away from the heights of the last two seasons and help explain why players not named above and not injured have been rather pale shadows of themselves.

There are, however, structural weaknesses in the team which help complete the picture. The defeat at Norwich highlighted a weakness at defending corners which Spurs had already exploited and corners have remained a problem. But there are others. The only team from the top seven which has failed to beat us is Leicester, and when we think back to these defeats there is an obvious vulnerability to pace on the break. In all the defeats the opposition has enjoyed very little possession but still carved out chances to win. Chelsea on Thursday, United at the Etihad, Spurs at their place, Wolves at the Etihad all ran the ball at City when they had the chance, through midfield and an exposed back line. Chelsea at the Etihad did for the first half hour but not well enough to win. This needs attention.

A number of reasons .
It’s very difficult to get up for another title after winning the last two in the manner they did.
Liverpool looked at last season thinking that the only way they win it is to play every game as a final which they virtually did .
What we have done last two seasons cannot be maintained because you get burnout which we did .
Var has done us on a number of occasions most notably at anfield when it was clear who it was favouring and Liverpool have had enormous luck with decisions and there injury list has been incredible.
Vinny not being replaced has been a massive mistake and to say we didn’t have the money is incredible considering that we could have held back on the Rodri deal till this summer and got he defender in .
Ferdy should never have been in defence all season with him being the best defensive midfielder in the world (schoolboy error from pep that one )
Our finishing needs to get better as we need 25 shots to score 2 goals .
Mendy is shit and should have been replaced last season . We need a left back .
Bernardo was never the sane after that mendy tweet.
Laporte being out for the season didn’t help either as did sane being out aswell .

Next season we will see a wounded animal back .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.