Who founded the City Supporters Club?

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Ric, 11 Mar 2018.

1. Ric

Ric

I've had an email from a lady who think her grandfather, Harry Ratcliffe, may have originally founded the City Supporters Club. Said I'd ask on here if anyone could shed any light, perhaps @Gary James?

2. Eccles Blue

Eccles Blue

There were two Supporters clubs who merged a few years ago Ric so which one does she mean?

3. cleavers

cleavers

The original Supporters Club was founded in 1949, the Centenary Supporters Association was founded near the end of the Swales era, as a protest at the SC officially supporting him, the two merged again about 10 years or so ago, so I would imagine that its the 1949 version that the question is about.

4. aguero93:20

aguero93:20

5. dawlish dave

dawlish dave

My dad was involved with setting up the Reddish branch, he wore a lapel badge with the words " Manchester City supporters club 1949" on it, cleaned that badge for him many a time he died 1998 at 92 years of age how I wish he could have seen todays City

6. kippax_blueboy

kippax_blueboy

The first branch was Brooks Bar in 1949 but no idea who was the actual person whose idea it was to set up the Supporters club.

7. Mad Eyed Screamer

Mad Eyed Screamer

How many tickets did he get for the derby away at the Swamp in 1949?

8. Ric

Ric

Yeah, I think it's the original supporters club, founded in 1949, that she is asking about.

9. BlueAnorak

BlueAnorak

If the City web site hadn't ditched the Archive under the current mismanagement then maybe we could know. Searching for [1949 Brooks Bar "Manchester City supporters"] you find a link to the 60th aniversary celebrations in 2010 with the text:
    "Brooks Bar is the oldest of all the OSC branches, celebrating its 60th anniversary last year. Its longest serving member, George Dutton, has been a member since it's foundation in 1949."
    But you're just redirected to the Man City home page now.

The ManCity.com site search engine is gash as it doesn't allow phrases to be searched for. So there are 982 articles to wade through with the search query ["Brooks Bar"]
    I could do a better web site with both hands tied behind my back.

Currently the branch has 65 members according to the supporters website but that's all you get there.

Last edited: 12 Mar 2018
  10. johnnytapia

johnnytapia

None, The Tunnel "under Colditz" Club had first dibs.