Who Said City Couldn't Play song - recording

Its a lovely unique song which i first heard Blues talk about in the late 80s when i started going home and away.
A very important ,defiant part of our history.

Since when do Mancunians say "eee that would be champion."?

Mancunian (or Manc) is the accent and dialect spoken in the majority of Manchester, North West England, and some of its environs. It is also given to the name of the people who live in the city of Manchester.

Throughout the 19th century and for most of the 20th century, speech in Manchester was considered part of the Lancashire dialect. Many of the dialect poets of the 19th century came from Manchester and the surrounding area.[1] In the early 20th century, the Manchester Ballads featured Lancashire dialect extensively.[2] As many of the traditional dialect features have died out in Manchester, it has been seen by some in recent years as a separate dialect.

It is claimed that the Manc dialect of British English has subconsciously changed the way people from the other English-speaking UK regions talk through the British popular culture of television shows such as Coronation Street. Also, later rock bands such as Oasis, Joy Division, Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses had distinct Manchester accents.[3]

I think when cotton was king, most people in Manchester would of spoken with a Lancashire accent, I think the Manc accent used today is a more modern development.

Mancunian (or Manc) is the accent and dialect spoken in the majority of Manchester, North West England, and some of its environs. It is also given to the name of the people who live in the city of Manchester.

Throughout the 19th century and for most of the 20th century, speech in Manchester was considered part of the Lancashire dialect. Many of the dialect poets of the 19th century came from Manchester and the surrounding area.[1] In the early 20th century, the Manchester Ballads featured Lancashire dialect extensively.[2] As many of the traditional dialect features have died out in Manchester, it has been seen by some in recent years as a separate dialect.

It is claimed that the Manc dialect of British English has subconsciously changed the way people from the other English-speaking UK regions talk through the British popular culture of television shows such as Coronation Street. Also, later rock bands such as Oasis, Joy Division, Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses had distinct Manchester accents.[3]

I think when cotton was king, most people in Manchester would of spoken with a Lancashire accent, I think the Manc accent used today is a more modern development.

Same as I said in 25 words, you have just said it in an academia way. )

I hope we can do this. I am going to drive people mad singing it. My mum used to sing it to me as a snotty toddler, and she did the same to her grandchildren.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.