Who will replace Foden as the next project?

Curious to hear from anyone who's seen quite a few of his youth games about their thoughts on his future here. I know he hasn't been given a ton of minutes so I'm not writing him off whatsoever, but I don't get the same feeling of a future star with him like I could with Phil when he was first integrated. Definitely a different type of midfielder, but curious to hear if we think he can fit into a side like ours or if he may need to go on loan at some point.

Would be nice to just see a lot more of him to make a good judgement.

The problem is that Phil is a player that anyone in the world could have brought through, he's been on the fast track to world class since he was 13 or 14.

These are once in a decade prospects.

The real challenge is turning a few people like Doyle, Palmer, Delap, THB into first team players. The ones who aren't outshining world class internationals when they're 17, 18 years old. Those guys might need 20 appearances to make that step up, to start showing how high their potential is.

I think Doyle's future is at 6 if he makes it into the first team, so he's got an added difficulty of having to slightly change position, although he's said Pep plays him at both in first team training.

He's not being linked with a loan, which is good news.

The problem is that Phil is a player that anyone in the world could have brought through, he's been on the fast track to world class since he was 13 or 14.

The real challenge is turning a few people like Doyle, Palmer, Delap, THB into first team players. The ones who aren't outshining world class internationals when they're 17, 18 years old. Those guys might need 20 appearances to make that step up, to start showing how high their potential is.

I think Doyle's future is at 6 if he makes it into the first team, so he's got an added difficulty of having to slightly change position, although he's said Pep plays him at both in first team training.

Cheers. Yeah, truth be told despite the fact the club are adamant that we fight on all fronts, with next season being busier it would have been nice to give the likes of Doyle and THB significant minutes in the Carabao while introducing Palmer and Delap to the setup. Fairly certain they're excluding the clubs competing in Europe next season though.

Cheers. Yeah, truth be told despite the fact the club are adamant that we fight on all fronts, with next season being busier it would have been nice to give the likes of Doyle and THB significant minutes in the Carabao while introducing Palmer and Delap to the setup. Fairly certain they're excluding the clubs competing in Europe next season though.

The Times exclusive that said the top sides might drop out due to fixture clashes said the other option is to play u23 sides.

I personally don't think the EFL will want to take the top 8 sides in the country out of the cup, it will decimate their TV income. If they do allow u23/very heavily rotated sides in the even of fixture clashes it will at least allow them to get some big TV money (and hopefully big crowds) in the second half of the season when the competition gets serious.

Cole Palmer I think.

Agree - he’s closer to David Silva and Nasri in style than Foden is, IMO; more elegant, and plays the game at his own pace.

Proper throwback to old #10s like Riquelme, Valeron etc whereas Foden is the modern 100mph, intense productivity > artistry attacking midfielder. I can see him having a future here if he’s given the opportunities out on loan to develop.

Harwood-Bellis is the other likeliest one IMO, but he needs to improve on his ball carrying - I don’t think I’ve ever seen a defender get disposessed so many times in youth football; it’s primarily down to the mono-pace he tries to go past people with - if he can learn to druvw the ball beyond and accelerate past them rather than walk by with the ball, he’ll look 10x the player. I like his passing range and reading of the game - he just needs to iron out the errors, and the best way to achieve that is by going out on loan for the next couple of seasons.

Didn't get chance to reply to @KCblue but those are my exact thoughts on Doyle.

I stopped going to youth games when progession seemed impossible so I've not seen too much of any of them.

He's not an EDS player but for this season the real answer is probably Yan Couto. If you believe anything he's said about why he came it's because he was told he would play, and looking at this minutes at the senior level he's definitely a project.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.