Who will solve the defensive frailties to ensure the title?

8 of those goals were in 2 games, Everton and Leicester away

I think the home draws really cost us and that was due to no scoring enough
Even if we'd have won every game that we drew at home we still would have fallen short.
It was actually a variety of reasons why we were short last season (and partly that Chelsea had a big points total) No one thing would have put it right we need to improve at both ends of the pitch.

The evidence suggests otherwise;
o3suHfA.png

"Only" five goals less scored than Chelsea, yet our GD was 11 worse. And only 6 goals less scored than Spurs, but a GD 19 worse than them. We conceded far too many, simple as that.
We do need to improve our defending, but it's questionable how much of that comes down to whether that involves investing heavily in the CB positions as many people suggest. There's kind of a suggestion that we can either improve our goals haul at the expense of the defence, or we can cover the defence better but offer less going forward. And I think if you're talking about using the same players in a more attacking or defensive way during the season, then there's a certain truth to that. But when it comes to signing players, I think that improving any one area of the pitch actually has a positive effect on all areas of the pitch. If we have three forward players who score over 20 goals a season each, that is absolutely going to affect the way that teams approach games against us and how willing they are to commit players forward, risking leaving their own defence exposed, which means fewer goals against. The rags, for example, arguably have far more talented players going forward than they do defensively, but their attacking players are hindered by their need to cover for what is a fairly average back line (goalkeeper aside).

Obviously this is only part of the story, and great players all over the pitch are what you're aiming for, but I think the "our defensive record isn't great, we need to replace the defenders rather than buying Sanchez" argument is a bit simplistic. Having Sanchez in the team will limit the amount the opposition can or are willing to attack us. Having midfielders that never give the ball away will limit the amount of times the opponents get the ball off us in a dangerous positions with the opportunity to run at defenders. And obviously having better defenders on the pitch will lead to a better defensive record too, but it's not the only consideration. Barcelona under Pep had an incredible defensive record, and I don't think it was because a 21 year old Pique was already world class, it's because no-one else ever got the ball and when they did, they knew that sending too many players forward and losing it would have Messi and co. running at their back line within about 3 seconds and scoring more often than not.

We do need to improve our defending, but it's questionable how much of that comes down to whether that involves investing heavily in the CB positions as many people suggest. There's kind of a suggestion that we can either improve our goals haul at the expense of the defence, or we can cover the defence better but offer less going forward. And I think if you're talking about using the same players in a more attacking or defensive way during the season, then there's a certain truth to that. But when it comes to signing players, I think that improving any one area of the pitch actually has a positive effect on all areas of the pitch. If we have three forward players who score over 20 goals a season each, that is absolutely going to affect the way that teams approach games against us and how willing they are to commit players forward, risking leaving their own defence exposed, which means fewer goals against. The rags, for example, arguably have far more talented players going forward than they do defensively, but their attacking players are hindered by their need to cover for what is a fairly average back line (goalkeeper aside).

Obviously this is only part of the story, and great players all over the pitch are what you're aiming for, but I think the "our defensive record isn't great, we need to replace the defenders rather than buying Sanchez" argument is a bit simplistic. Having Sanchez in the team will limit the amount the opposition can or are willing to attack us. Having midfielders that never give the ball away will limit the amount of times the opponents get the ball off us in a dangerous positions with the opportunity to run at defenders. And obviously having better defenders on the pitch will lead to a better defensive record too, but it's not the only consideration. Barcelona under Pep had an incredible defensive record, and I don't think it was because a 21 year old Pique was already world class, it's because no-one else ever got the ball and when they did, they knew that sending too many players forward and losing it would have Messi and co. running at their back line within about 3 seconds and scoring more often than not.
That's a very good post, er, "Stupid"!

Still think we need to strengthen the defence though!

Proper full backs that don't leave the centre backs exposed all game would be a start.
100%. That Chelsea game at home summer our season up. Dominated the match, 1-0 up with a couple of poor decisions against us and we missed some big chances, KDBs in particular. We were hit three times on the counter attack and the overriding memory for me is when Willian burnt past kolarov and slotted easily past Bravo who should have done better. We have already got a new keeper sorted and we look much better going forward. If we get quicker full backs then I think our problems have been totally addressed.

The evidence suggests otherwise;
o3suHfA.png

"Only" five goals less scored than Chelsea, yet our GD was 11 worse. And only 6 goals less scored than Spurs, but a GD 19 worse than them. We conceded far too many, simple as that.

We conceded just two more than the last time we won the league.

We can get away with a 'poor' defence in England at least,not in the UCL,with ruthless and clinical finishing.Shocking defending all round in the PL currently.We have a 'risky' way of playing now and no matter who we buy,we'll always give away stupid goals under the setup.
We were unable to kill off games last year many a times when in control.Might not make too much sense but agree with Pep in 'the more goals scored,the less goals conceded..'.Spurs is a good example of this from last season's PL table.

That joke has gone sooooo stale. Boring
I do honestly believe we'd have conceded about five fewer league goals had we had an in-form keeper in net last season, so he has a point.

Vs Hull
Vs United
Vs Middlesbrough (De Roon)
Vs Everton (Home)
Vs Burnley (Home)

These are probably all shots that should've been easily prevented by Bravo and weren't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.