Who will solve the defensive frailties to ensure the title?

Defence wasn't the problem last year. We conceded pretty much the same amount of goals we usually do since we switched to attacking football.

We lacked goals. About 20 of them.
The media has brainwashed so many with their "defence needs sorting out" line that it has spread to many city fans too.

The evidence suggests otherwise;
o3suHfA.png

"Only" five goals less scored than Chelsea, yet our GD was 11 worse. And only 6 goals less scored than Spurs, but a GD 19 worse than them. We conceded far too many, simple as that.
It's a bit of both in my opinion. We weren't ruthless enough at times which led to disappointments such as Chelsea at home. Not ruthless enough and too easy to hit on the counter attack. Spurs at home was another example. I agree though the defence needs sorting.

I feel if you crack that, then you will win it, conversely, if you don't another year of disappointment.

I think you should go for VVD. He played for my team and he us exactly what you need.

Who do you want to come in? Or do you think you've got it sorted?
Agree. Sadly as we aren't in the market for a pacey defensive midfielder of real quality I feel another year of disappointment will be upon us.

The media has brainwashed so many with their "defence needs sorting out" line that it has spread to many city fans too.
I also think people on here are brainwashed. Our defense was terrible last year at times. Two games stand out for me, Chelsea and Spurs. Chelsea we dominated for 60 minutes, missed that chance, but then defensively crumbled in i would say the key game of the season. Also Spurs, defensively we were so frail at times, that has to be sorted out. We may not have conceded a tonne of goals, but anyone thinking defense isnt part of the problem is burrying their head in the sand IMO.

I also think people on here are brainwashed. Our defense was terrible last year at times. Two games stand out for me, Chelsea and Spurs. Chelsea we dominated for 60 minutes, missed that chance, but then defensively crumbled in i would say the key game of the season. Also Spurs, defensively we were so frail at times, that has to be sorted out. We may not have conceded a tonne of goals, but anyone thinking defense isnt part of the problem is burrying their head in the sand IMO.
People in this thread are saying we did well as we had the 4th best defence. But that is due to the amount of possession we had, in terms of our opponents converting chances into goals we must have had the worst defence in the league.
With only one deep lying midfielder in front of the defence I'm not sure we will ever sort out our defending problem under Pep. Lets see if two full backs with some pace help sort out the problem of our DM being overloaded against the better teams.
Getting rid of Bravo in nets can only help mind - if he was any cop we'd have conceded a third less goals than we did as he only saved two running shots from opponents breaking at pace all season. He just waved at most such opportunities as they flew into the back of the net.

Last edited:
People in this thread are saying we did well as we had the 4th best defence. But that is due to the amount of possession we had, in terms of our opponents converting chances into goals we must have had the worst defence in the league.
With only one deep lying midfielder in front of the defence I'm not sure we will ever sort out our defending problem under Pep. Lets see if two full backs with some pace help sort out the problem of our DM being overloaded against the better teams.
Getting rid of Bravo in nets can only help mind - if he was any cop we'd have conceded a third less goals than we did as he only saved two running shots from opponents breaking at pace all season. He just waved at most such opportunities as they flew into the back of the net.
Yes i think the new keeper and quality RB/LB will make a ahuge difference. However, without Kompany in the middle we do look frail through at times which i feel needs to be addressed. Either that or we pray Vinnie stays fit all season which is a huge ask.

Yes i think the new keeper and quality RB/LB will make a ahuge difference. However, without Kompany in the middle we do look frail through at times which i feel needs to be addressed. Either that or we pray Vinnie stays fit all season which is a huge ask.
IMO we need another quality CH as well as a pacey quality DM. Without doing so I can't see us getting past Chelsea for the title.

Agree. Sadly as we aren't in the market for a pacey defensive midfielder of real quality I feel another year of disappointment will be upon us.

As good as you are, you can be got at too easily. Your aspirations are to actually win the CL, you have the resources to seriously go for that but CL tables don't lie.

I feel city are in danger of adopting the Arsenal syndrome. You need a strong, boss type midfielder to break up and start counter attacks.

Your full backs forget their main job too often and you need VVD or similar to partner Stones. Goal keeper is also too inconsistent.

The focus is always on attack, which every true football fan wants. But, you need to be able to defend better or the confidence collapses as your players worry about that forward pass as if they fuck it up you're in trouble.

So, centre mid boss, CB and at least one brilliant full back or Prem title never mind CL is not going to happen.

I'm sure pep is on it, he better be or it's another year of your defence fucking everything up when it comes to the crunch.

Here's hoping.

There wasn't a problem with our defence tactically, it was more down to the fact our defensive players mainly had aged and thus weren't as quick as opposition, often being exposed towards the end of games when they had tired.
In particular the FB's.

Younger, thus more quicker FB's will solve this issue that opponents would often exploit.
As with the GK, we were to inconsistent with our GK so hopefully Ederson can introduce some consistency there.

A more energetic defence will decrease the risk of us being countered.
And judging from Edersons highlights reel, he is fearless and doesn't mind throwing his body around the box during corners/crosses.

As with David Silva, he was often targeted specifically by opponents, to injure him, regularly foul him and take him out if the game.
Having Bernardo will allow us to be more flexible and if Dave gets taken out we can then have another playmaker.

So yea, quicker FB's and we'll be much stronger

With only one deep lying midfielder in front of the defence I'm not sure we will ever sort out our defending problem under Pep

Outside last season, Pep Guardiola has had the best defensive record in the league in every single season he's been a professional manager. All with one "deep lying midfielder" in front of the defence.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.