Who would today's Rooney join?

King-Kun

Back when the rags bought Rooney, there wasn't much in the way of competition. He was hailed as the biggest English talent in years, but the only challengers to get his signature were Newcastle (who couldn't even stump up a high enough fee).

Chelski had just been bought by Roman, so had the money, but were focused on buying more established talents for more immediate success at the time.

The gooners were better than the rags, but didn't (and still don't) have any desire to spend £25 -30 million on one player.

My question is, who would a young, extremely highly-rated, £30 -40 million youngster (much more highly rated than Will Hughes) join today?

These days United aren't the richest in the league, and we have an exciting project going on.. So realistically it's between us, Chelski and the rags.
But, in your opinion, which of the three would he choose?

Those three and maybe Arsenal in a couple of years as they bring youth talent on, theo, wilshire and such like. Depends on if you want game time or fame, look at Sinclair, a great young talent who thought he was moving onto the next level and probably wishes he had stayed at Swansea!

King-Kun said:
Pigeonho said:
You've answered it already. Us, Chelsea and United.
Out of the three?
Depends. Ignore his age and go off ability, RVP joined United over us for whatever reason he had for doing so, and it's paying off for him. United still have the pulling power. Chelsea are a funny one because they just seem to cherry-pick, some would say we do that too but I would say that was at the start of the Sheikh's reign more than now. We have pulling power, no doubt about that. It would depend on the player, his reps getting the best money for him and of course, (depending on his mindset), who could offer him the most first-team football.
Say Wilshire became available. Who do you think he would join?

It's definitely Wilshere, imagine him and Yaya in our midfield.
You could argue Baines is doing very well, would confirm our left back sitaution, I must say I do like the way Clichy becomes a winger during the match. We need a strong partner for Kompany no one right now though.

BlueTony84 said:
Those three and maybe Arsenal in a couple of years as they bring youth talent on, theo, wilshire and such like. Depends on if you want game time or fame, look at Sinclair, a great young talent who thought he was moving onto the next level and probably wishes he had stayed at Swansea!
Na, maybe I wasn't clear.
I mean a young talent who was basically regarded by everyone as a complete one-off, and potentially one of England's best ever. If all three teams offered similar contracts, who would he join?
Sinclair wasn't regarded as such.

Arsenal would never spend £30 million on an 18 year old, even if he was a one-off "wonderkid".

You could argue that the Eden Hazard saga was a case close to this, but he wasn't regarded as highly... And isn't English, so hasn't grown up with our clubs, culture etc.

A wonderkid, seen as having the potential to be England's best ever player.. Who would he choose out of us three?

King-Kun said:
BlueTony84 said:
I mean a young talent who was basically regarded by everyone as a complete one-off, and potentially one of England's best ever. If all three teams offered similar contracts, who would he join?

Arsenal would never spend £30 million on an 18 year old, even if he was a one-off "wonderkid".

You could argue that the Eden Hazard saga was a case close to this, but he wasn't regarded as highly... And isn't English, so hasn't grown up with our clubs, culture etc.

A wonderkid, seen as having the potential to be England's best ever player.. Who would he choose out of us three?
There are too many scenario's to answer it though. He may like the south, so would choose London. He may like United since growing up, and the immortal, (but usually bollocks), words of 'my boyhood club' would be muttered. He may like the fact we are champions, (if we were), and pay loads of wages - there are loads of scenarios which make it impossible to answer right now.

Pigeonho said:
King-Kun said:
Pigeonho said:
You've answered it already. Us, Chelsea and United.
Out of the three?
Depends. Ignore his age and go off ability, RVP joined United over us for whatever reason he had for doing so, and it's paying off for him. United still have the pulling power. Chelsea are a funny one because they just seem to cherry-pick, some would say we do that too but I would say that was at the start of the Sheikh's reign more than now. We have pulling power, no doubt about that. It would depend on the player, his reps getting the best money for him and of course, (depending on his mindset), who could offer him the most first-team football.
Say Wilshire became available. Who do you think he would join?

RVP wasn't sure he'd get as many games here. And Slur Alex phoned him specifically (players like to feel as wanted as possible) he was more assured of the rags plans.

Wilshere isn't quite the same because: He's already played for a big rival of each club (arguably Chelski and the rags are bigger rivals to Arsenal than us at the moment though), He's also an England regular, and Arsenal could easily choose not to sell to a particular one of us.

When the rags bought him from Everton, Everton had no choice but to except, and it was clearly too big a step up for him to turn down.

Pigeonho said:
King-Kun said:
BlueTony84 said:

There are too many scenario's to answer it though. He may like the south, so would choose London. He may like United since growing up, and the immortal, (but usually bollocks), words of 'my boyhood club' would be muttered. He may like the fact we are champions, (if we were), and pay loads of wages - there are loads of scenarios which make it impossible to answer right now.

Okay, assuming this kid had no preference for the North or South, and didn't care much for Chelski, us or the rags....but just wanted to make alot of money and win as much as possible.

Who would he see as the most likely club to fulfil his ambitions in terms of winning lots of trophies?

I'd argue Chelski would be the last place because of the unstability, and the rags are on the verge of losing Govan Gob.

I'd argue we'd make the most sense.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.