Who's into Classical Music?

I got into opera about ten years ago and now am almost obsessed by it.
Went to NY for the Met opera in March last and Donna Del Largo near Lucca for the Puccini festival this summer. Next year I’m going to Carmen at La Fenice in Venice and I’ve booked for the Verona Opera festival. I’ve seen operas in Paris, Vienna and Budapest also.
I also travel to see great orchestras, performers or conductors.
Travelled from Macc to London for Rattle with the Berlin orchestra doing Mahler’s Resurrection Symphony No. 2 a few years ago.
It was an incredible evening.
We are extremely fortunate in Manchester to have access to the Bridgewater Hall and the RNCM. I regularly go into the RNCM for free lunchtime recitals.

It’s on every year. What did you see, blue?

Big fan of Grieg's Piano concerto by Grieg.

I'll be honest, since getting into classical music, I've realised how much of it was written just to allow someone to show off.

I have a multi CD set of the Ring Cycle but as I find opera close to unlistenable I've never played it.
I've started listening to Radio 3 and most of what they play sounds great.

A few favourites

Peter and the Wolf
Carnival of the Animals
Nutcracker Suite

Last edited:
Cavalleria Rusticana (not sure of my spelling) and Concerto de Aranjuez are both truly beautiful pieces of music, capable of moving me to tears almost. Especially the performance of the latter in the film 'Brassed Off'. (The original on Guitar is also amazing)
Not limited to classical music but for some reason Brass Band music always moves me, it's just so evocative and powerful and expressive.

Anyone who loves classical music, especially on piano, should youtube Valeriana Litsova (again not sure of my spelling). Talented in the extreme and you can lose hours watching and listening to her

Just back from an evening with Mark Radcliffe in Bramhall.
He was asked what gigs he sent to these days and interestingly he said he isn’t that keen on going to rock or pop music gigs as it all seems to be like stuff he heard before but now prefers to go to listen to sacred choral music, Thomas Tallis or Harry Christopher and the 16.
He plans to do a grand tour of European cathedrals to listen to evensong.

Cavalleria Rusticana (not sure of my spelling) and Concerto de Aranjuez are both truly beautiful pieces of music, capable of moving me to tears almost. Especially the performance of the latter in the film 'Brassed Off'. (The original on Guitar is also amazing)
Not limited to classical music but for some reason Brass Band music always moves me, it's just so evocative and powerful and expressive.

peter skellern used brass music brilliantly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.